1998 No. 1007
The Antarctic (Amendment) Regulations 1998
19th March 1998
Laid before Parliament
8th April 1998
Coming into force
1st May 1998
The Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs in exercise of his powers under sections 9(1), 10(1), 11(1), 14(1), 15(c), 25(1) and (3) and 32 of the Antarctic Act 1994(1), and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf, hereby makes the following Regulations:
Citation and commencement
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Antarctic (Amendment) Regulations 1998 and shall come into force on 1st May 1998. The Antarctic Regulations 1995(2) (“the principal Regulations”), as amended(3), and these Regulations may be cited together as the Antarctic Regulations 1995 to 1998.
Amendment of Regulation 18 of the principal Regulations
2. In paragraph (2) of Regulation 18 of the principal Regulations, after the words “British ship or British aircraft” shall be inserted “or British hovercraft”.
Amendment of Schedules 1 and 2 to the principal Regulations
3. The Schedules to the principal Regulations shall be amended as follows:
(a)There shall be added to Schedule 1 the areas listed and described in Schedule 1 to these Regulations.
(b)In Schedule 2:
(i)The description of Historic Site number 14 shall be replaced by:
“Site of ice cave at Inexpressible Bay, Terra Nova Bay (Lat. 74°54'S, Long. 163°43'E), constructed in March 1912 by Victor Campbell’s Northern Party, British Antarctic Expedition, 1910–13.”.
(ii)The description of Historic Site number 41 shall be replaced by:
“Stone hut on Paulet Island (Lat. 63°35'S, Long. 55°47'W), built in February 1903 by the Norwegian C. A. Larsen, of the Swedish South Polar Expedition led by Otto Nordenskjold, together with the grave of a member of that expedition, and the rock cairn, built by survivors of the wreck at the highest point of the island to draw the attention of rescue expeditions.”.
(iii)There shall be added at the end of the Schedule the sites and monuments listed in Schedule 2 to these Regulations.
For the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
19th March 1998
RESTRICTED AREASSpecially Protected Area No. 5 Beaufort Island, McMurdo Sound, Ross Sea Lat. 76°57'S; Long. 166°56'E
The designated Area encompasses the whole of Beaufort Island and includes adjacent fast-ice occupied by breeding Emperor penguins. The island lies 37 km north of Ross Island. It covers an area of approximately 18.4 km2 and rises to a height of 771 m.
RESTRICTED AREASSpecially Protected Area No. 13 Moe Island, South Orkney Islands Lat. 60°44'S; Long. 45°41'W
Moe Island, South Orkney Islands, is a small irregularly-shaped island lying 300 m off the southwestern extremity of Signy Island, from which it is separated by Fyr Channel. It is about 1.3 km from the northeast to southwest and 1 km from northwest to southeast.
RESTRICTED AREASSpecially Protected Area No. 15 Southern Powell Island and Adjacent Islands, South Orkney Islands Lat. 60°42'S; Long. 45°01'W
The Area, which is centred on latitude 60°42'S and longitude 45°01'W includes all of Powell Island, South Orkney Islands, south of the latitude of the southern summit of John Peaks (375 m altitude), together with the whole of Fredriksen Island, Michelsen Island (a tidal peninsula at the southern tip of Powell Island), Christoffersen Island, Grey Island and unnamed adjacent islands.
RESTRICTED AREASSpecially Protected Area No. 24 Pointe-Géologie Archipelago Lat. 66°40'S; Long. 140°02'E
The Area includes Jean Rostand, Alexis Carrel, Lamarck and Claude Bernard Islands, Bon Docteur Nunatak and an Emperor penguin breeding colony situated in the heart of Pointe-Géologie Archipelago, Adelie Land (Lat. 66°39'S to 66°40'S; Long. 140° to 140°02'E). It consists of the southernmost exposure of the Pointe-Géologie Archipelago, between Petrel Island and the western edge of the Astrolabe glacier.
RESTRICTED AREASSpecially Protected Area No. 25 Cape Evans, Ross Island Lat. 77°38'S; Long. 166°25'E
Cape Evans is a small, triangular shaped, ice free area in the south west of Ross Island, 10 km to the south of Cape Royds and 22 km to the north of Hut Point Peninsula on Ross Island. The designated Area is located on the north western coast of Cape Evans adjacent to Home Beach and is centred on Scott’s ‘Terra Nova’ Hut.
RESTRICTED AREASSpecially Protected Area No. 26 Lewis Bay, Mount Erebus, Ross Island Lat. 77°25'S; Long. 167°28'E
The designated Area covers the site of the Air New Zealand DC-10 aircraft crash on 28th November 1979 on the northern slope of Mount Erebus, Ross Island. All two hundred and fifty seven people on board lost their lives. The bodies of some of those who died could not be recovered and remain in the Area.
RESTRICTED AREASSite of Special Scientific Interest No. 9 Rothera Point, Adelaide Island Lat. 67°34'S; Long. 68°06'W
Rothera Point is situated in Ryder Bay, at the south-east corner of Wright Peninsula on the east side of Adelaide Island, south-west Antarctic Peninsula.
The Site is the north-eastern one-third of Rothera Point, and is representative of the area as a whole. It is about 300 m from west to east and 250 m from north to south and rises to a maximum height of 36 m. At the coast, the Site boundary is the 2.5 m contour. No upper shore, littoral or sublittoral areas of Rothera Point are therefore included within the Site.
RESTRICTED AREASSite of Special Scientific Interest No. 11 Tramway Ridge, Mt. Erebus, Ross Island Lat. 167°07'E; Long. 77°31'S
The boundary of the designated Area is defined as a square of 200 m by 200.8 m which encompasses most of the warm ground area of lower Tramway Ridge. The Area is divided into two parts of almost equal size, the northern half being a Prohibited Zone.
RESTRICTED AREASSite of Special Scientific Interest No. 12 Canada Glacier, Taylor Valley, Victoria Land Lat. 77°37'S; Long. 163°03'E
The Area is located between the tongue of Canada Glacier and the shoreline of Lake Fryxell and covers an area of approximately 1.2 km2. An Antarctica New Zealand hut lies within its boundaries.
RESTRICTED AREASSite of Special Scientific Interest No. 13 Potter Peninsula, King George Island, South Shetland Islands Lat. 62°15'S; Long. 58°39'W
The site is on the east side of Maxwell Bay between ‘Mirounga Point’ and the east side of Stranger Point. It occupies the coastal zone of varying width up to 500 m from the shoreline and covers an area of approximately 1.9 km2.
RESTRICTED AREASSite of Special Scientific Interest No. 14 Harmony Point, Nelson Island, South Shetland Islands Lat. 62°18'S; Long. 59°11'W
The Area is on the western side of the island and includes Harmony Point and The Toe, the adjacent ice-free land and the intertidal zone. It covers an area of approximately 4 km2.
RESTRICTED AREASSite of Special Scientific Interest No. 15 Cierva Point and offshore islands, Danco Coast, Antarctic Peninsula Lat. 64°10'S; Long. 61°01'W
The site comprises the Cierva Point peninsula including the land west of a line from the south-east of the north side of the point through the summit of Pico Mojón to the south-east side of the point. Also included are Sterneck and Midas islands and Moss Islands. Primavera Station (Argentina) and all its associated installations and areas of activity are excluded.
RESTRICTED AREASSite of Special Scientific Interest No. 19 Linnaeus Terrace, Asgaard Range, Victoria Land Lat. 77°35'S; Long. 161°05'E
Linnaeus Terrace is an elevated bench of weathered Beacon Sandstone approximately 1.5 km in length and 1 km in width. It is located at the east end of the Asgaard Range, 1.5 km north of Oliver Peak (Lat. 77°36'S; Long. 161°02'E) at an elevation of about 1,600 m. The Area overlooks the South Fork of the Wright Valley, is about 4 km from Don Juan Pond and 10 km from the terminus of the Wright Upper Glacier.
RESTRICTED AREASSite of Special Scientific Interest No. 37 Botany Bay, Cape Geology, Victoria Land Lat. 77°00'S; Long. 162°32'E
The site is situated in the south-western corner of Granite Harbour, southern Victoria Land, approximately 100 km north-west of Ross Island. The Area encompasses much of the catchment above Botany Bay and consists of raised boulder beach terraces, weathered rocky steppes and irregular rock platforms around Cape Geology.
SCHEDULE 2ANTARCTIC HISTORIC SITES AND MONUMENTS
61. ‘Base A’ at Port Lockroy on Goudier Island, off Wiencke Island, Antarctic Peninsula (Lat. 64°49'S, Long. 63°29'W). Of historic interest as an Operation Tabarin base.
62. ‘Base F (Wordie House)’ on the south-west corner of Winter Island, one of the group known as the Argentine Islands (Lat. 65°15'S, Long 64°16'W). An example of an early British scientific base.
63. ‘Base Y’ on Horseshoe Island, Marguerite Bay, western Graham Land, (Lat. 67°48'S, Long. 67°18'W). A relatively unaltered and completely equipped British base of the late 1950s. ‘Blaiklock’, the refuge hut nearby, is considered an integral part of the base.
64. ‘Base E’ on Stonington Island, Marguerite Bay, western Graham Land (Lat. 68°11'S, Long. 67°00'W). Of historic importance in the early period of exploration and later British Antarctic Survey history of the 1960s and 1970s.
65. Message post on Svend Foyn Island, Possession Islands (Lat. 71°56'S, Long. 171°05'E). A pole with a box attached placed on 16th January 1895 during the whaling expedition of Henryk Bull and Captain Leonard Kristensen of the ship ‘Antarctic’.
66. Cairn at the foot of the main bluff Scott Nunataks, Queen Alexandra Mountains (Lat. 77°11'S, Long. 154°32'W). Erected by Lieut. Kristian Prestrud on 3rd December 1911 during the Norwegian Antarctic Expedition of 1910–1912.
67. Rock shelter ‘Granite House’ at Cape Geology, Granite Harbour (Lat. 77°00'S, Long. 162°32'E). Constructed in December 1911 for use as a field kitchen by Taylor’s second geological excursion during the British Antarctic Expedition of 1910–1913.
68. Emergency depot, consisting of a sledge loaded with supplies and equipment, at Hell’s Gate Moraine, Inexpressible Island, Terra Nova Bay (Lat. 74°52'S, Long. 163°50'E). Placed on 25th January 1913 by the British Antarctic Expedition. The sledge and supplies were removed in 1994 in order to stabilise their condition.
69. Message post erected at Cape Crozier, Ross Island (Lat. 77°27'S, Long. 169°16'E) by Captain Robert F. Scott’s ‘Discovery’ Expedition of 1901–1904. It was intended to provide information for the expedition relief ships and held a metal message cylinder which has been removed.
70. Message post at Cape Wadworth, Coulman Island (Lat. 73°19'S, Long. 169°47'E). A metal cylinder nailed to a red pole 8 metres above sea level placed by Captain Robert F. Scott on 15th January 1902.
71. Whaling station at Whalers Bay, Deception Island (Lat. 62°59'S, Long. 60°33'W). Established in 1912 by Captain Adolfo Andresen.
72. Mikkelsen Cairn on Tryne Islands, Vestfold Hills (Lat. 68°22'S, Long. 78°24'E). A rock cairn and flag mast erected by Captain Klarius Mikkelsen on 20th February 1935 marks the place where Caroline Mikkelsen, the first woman to set foot on East Antarctica, landed.
73. Memorial Cross for the 1979 Mount Erebus crash victims at Lewis Bay, Ross Island (Lat. 77°26'S, Long. 167°33'E). A stainless steel cross erected in memory of the 257 people who lost their lives when the aircraft in which they were travelling crashed into the lower slopes of Mount Erebus.
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
The Regulations amend Schedules 1 and 2 to the Antarctic Regulations 1995 by adding further restricted areas and historic sites and monuments, and make some technical changes.
1994 c. 15.