1998 No. 1489
EDUCATION, ENGLAND AND WALES
The Education (Grants for Education Support and Training) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 1998
20th June 1998
Laid before Parliament
24th June 1998
Coming into force
15th July 1998
In exercise of the powers conferred upon the Secretary of State by sections 484, 489 and 569(4) of the Education Act 1996(1) the Secretary of State for Wales hereby makes the following Regulations:
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Education (Grants for Education Support and Training) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 1998 and shall come into force on 15th July 1998.
2. The Education (Grants for Education Support and Training) (Wales) Regulations 1998(2) shall be amended as follows.
3. In regulation 5(1), there shall be substituted for “13 and 24”“13, 24, 27 and 28”.
4. In regulation 6(4), there shall be substituted for “24”“13, 24, 27 or 28”.
5. In the Schedule, after paragraph 26 there shall be inserted the following paragraphs—
“27. Support for education authorities to develop and implement strategies to improve standards of literacy in English and Welsh and standards of numeracy.
28. Support during the 1998–99 financial year for those schools which at the beginning of that year were already participating in and during that year are continuing to participate in Phase III of the scheme established by the Welsh Office to encourage the introduction of courses leading to General National Vocational Qualifications and known as the Welsh Office GNVQs Key Stage 4 Development Scheme.”.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for Wales
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Welsh Office
20th June 1998
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
These Regulations amend the Education (Grants for Education Support and Training) (Wales) Regulations 1998 (“the 1998 Regulations”).
They add two new purposes (paragraphs 27 and 28 of the Schedule to the 1998 Regulations) for which grant is payable at 100% of approved expenditure. They also remove the restriction contained in regulation 6(4), concerning payment of grant in the last period of the financial year, in relation not only to approved expenditure of the kind referred to in the new paragraphs 27 and 28 of the Schedule to the 1998 Regulations but also in relation to approved expenditure of the kind referred to in paragraph 13 of that Schedule (action to reduce the size of infant classes).
1996 c. 56; see section 579(1) for the definition of “regulations”.