Whereas under Article 41 of the Charter of the United Nations the Security Council of the United Nations has, by certain resolutions adopted on 23rd January 1992, 19th November 1992, 17th May 1994, 9th June 1995, 16th August 1995 and 5th June 1998, called upon Her Majesty’s Government in the United Kingdom and all other States to apply certain measures to give effect to decisions of that Council in relation to Somalia, Liberia, Rwanda and Sierra Leone:
Now, therefore, Her Majesty, in exercise of the powers conferred on Her by section 1 of the United Nations Act 1946(1), is pleased, by and with the advice of Her Privy Council, to order, and it is hereby ordered, as follows:—
Citation, commencement, interpretation and extent
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the United Nations Arms Embargoes (Channel Islands) (Amendment) (Sierra Leone) Order 1998 and shall come into force on 26th June 1998.
(2) In this Order, “the Order” means the United Nations Arms Embargoes (Somalia, Liberia and Rwanda) (Channel Islands) Order 1996(2).
(3) This Order shall extend to the Channel Islands so as to be law, respectively, in the Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Bailiwick of Jersey only.
Amendment of article 2(1) of the Order
2. In article 2(1) of the Order—
(a)for ““prohibited destination” means Somalia, Liberia or Rwanda;” there shall be substituted—
““prohibited destination” means Somalia, Liberia, Rwanda or Sierra Leone;”;
(b)in the definition of “prohibited goods”—
(i)for paragraph (a) there shall be substituted—
“(a)goods of a description specified in Part III of Schedule 1 to the Export of Goods (Control) Order 1994;”(3); and
(ii)in paragraph (b), at the beginning, there shall be inserted the words “in relation to Liberia, Somalia or Rwanda,”; and
(c)for the definition of “ship” there shall be substituted—
““ship” includes every description of vessel used in navigation;”.
Amendment of article 7(1) of the Order
3. In article 7(1) of the Order, after the words “licence granted”, where they appear for the second time, there shall be inserted the word “under”.
Amendment of article 8(9) of, and paragraph 4 of the Schedule to, the Order
4. In paragraph 9(c) of article 8 of the Order, and in paragraph 4(c) of the Schedule to the Order, for the words “or Rwanda” there shall be substituted the words “, Rwanda or Sierra Leone”.
Revocation of the Sierra Leone (United Nations Sanctions) (Channel Islands) Order 1997
5. The Sierra Leone (United Nations Sanctions) (Channel Islands) Order 1997(4) is hereby revoked.
N. H. Nicholls
Clerk of the Privy Council
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order, made under the United Nations Act 1946, amends the United Nations Arms Embargoes (Somalia, Liberia and Rwanda) (Channel Islands) Order 1996 by imposing restrictions on the delivery and supply of arms and related matériel to Sierra Leone, pursuant to a decision of the Security Council of the United Nations in Resolution No. 1171 of 5th June 1998, which terminated earlier restrictions relating to Sierra Leone and re-imposed more limited restrictions. The Order also revokes the Sierra Leone (United Nations Sanctions) (Channel Islands) Order 1997.
In addition, the Order amends the definition of “prohibited goods” in the above Order of 1996 in line with recent legislation, and makes certain other, minor, changes to that Order.
1946 c. 45.
S.I. 1996/3154, as amended by S.I. 1997/279.
S.I. 1994/1191; relevant amending Orders are S.I. 1996/2663, S.I. 1997/1008 and S.I. 1997/2758.