1998 No. 1958
EDUCATION, ENGLAND AND WALES
The Newcastle Education Action Zone Order 1998
10th August 1998
Laid before Parliament
11th August 1998
Coming into force
1st September 1998
Whereas an application for the purpose of establishing an education action zone has been made to the Secretary of State with the consent of the governing bodies of every school which is comprised in this Order.
Now, therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred on the Secretary of State by sections 10(1) and 138(7), and paragraph 2 of Schedule 1 to, the School Standards and Framework Act 1998(1), the Secretary of State for Education and Employment hereby makes the following Order:
Citation and commencement
1. This Order may be cited as the Newcastle Education Action Zone Order 1998 and shall come into force on 1st September 1998.
2. In this order–
“partners” means those persons listed in Schedule 1 to this Order; and
“zone school” means a school listed in Schedule 2 of this Order.
Constitution of education action zone
3. The schools listed in Schedule 2 to this Order shall constitute collectively an education action zone under the name of the Newcastle Education Action Zone (“the zone”) for the purposes of Chapter III of Part I of the School Standards and Framework Act 1998.
4. There shall be an Education Action Forum for the zone, the membership of which shall include–
(a)one person appointed by the governing body of each zone school, unless any such governing body chooses not to make such an appointment;
(b)either one or two persons appointed by the Secretary of State; and
(c)two persons appointed by Newcastle City Council and one person appointed by each of the other partners, unless any partner chooses not to make such an appointment.
5. The Forum may, at any time, appoint not more than 10 additional members from persons appearing to them to represent the interests of–
(b)parents of children of compulsory school age; and
(c)the voluntary sector.
in the area served by the zone schools provided that the number of persons appointed under sub-paragraph (b) shall not exceed 2.
Disqualification from membership of the Forum
6. Articles 7 to 9 shall have effect for the purpose of prescribing the circumstances and cases in which a person is to be disqualified for holding, or continuing to hold, office as a member of the Forum.
Disqualification from membership of Forum—bankruptcy etc.
7.—(1) Subject to the provisions of this regulation, a person shall be disqualified for holding, or for continuing to hold, office as a member of the Forum if he has been adjudged bankrupt or has made a composition or arrangement with his creditors; and a member, on becoming so disqualified, shall give written notice of the fact to the secretary to the Forum.
(2) Where a person is disqualified by reason of his having been adjudged bankrupt, that disqualification shall cease–
(a)unless the bankruptcy order made against that person is previously annulled, on his discharge from bankruptcy; and
(b)if the bankruptcy order is so annulled, on the date of the annulment.
(3) Where a person is disqualified by reason of his having made a composition or arrangement with his creditors and he pays his debts in full, the disqualification shall cease on the date on which the payment is completed and in any other case it shall cease on the expiration of three years from the date on which the terms of the deed of composition or arrangement are fulfilled.
Disqualification from membership of Forum—criminal convictions
8.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2) a person shall be disqualified for holding, or for continuing to hold, office as a member of the Forum if–
(a)within five years before his appointment would otherwise have taken effect or since his appointment, he has been convicted, whether in the United Kingdom or elsewhere, of any offence and has had passed on him a sentence of imprisonment (whether suspended or not) for a period of not less than three months without the option of a fine;
(b)within twenty years before his appointment would otherwise have taken effect, he has been convicted as aforesaid and has had passed on him a sentence of imprisonment for a period of more than two and a half years; or
(c)he has at any time been convicted as aforesaid and has had passed on him a sentence of imprisonment of not less than five years.
(2) For the purposes of this regulation there shall be disregarded any conviction by or before a court outside the United Kingdom of an offence in respect of conduct which, if it had taken place in any part of the United Kingdom, would not have constituted an offence under the law in force in that part of the United Kingdom.
Disqualification—absence from meetings
9. Any member of the Forum who, without the consent of the Forum has failed to attend the meetings thereof for a continuous period of six months beginning with the date of a meeting shall, on the expiry of that period, be disqualified for continuing to be a member of the Forum without prejudice however, to his re-appointment.
Chairman’s tenure of office
10. The chairman of the Forum elected in accordance with paragraph 2 of Schedule 1 to the Act, shall hold office for one year from the date of his election (unless he resigns his office earlier), without prejudice to his eligibility to be re-elected for a further such period.
SCHEDULE 1MEANING OF “PARTNERS”
The following persons are “partners” for the purposes of appointing additional members of the Forum:
Newcastle City Council
Marks and Spencer plc
British Telecommunications plc
Newcastle United Football Club
Tyneside Training and Enterprise Council
Newcastle City Health Trust
SCHEDULE 2SCHOOLS COMPRISING THE ZONE
Chapel Park Middle School
Cheviot First School
Chevyside Middle School
Cowgate Primary School
Denton Park Middle School
English Martyrs RC Primary School
Farne First Schoo
Firfield Community School
Hilton Primary School
Linhope First Schooll
Montagu Primary School
Moorside Community Primary School
St John Vianney RC Primary School
St Mark’s RC Primary School
Simonside First School
Thomas Walling Primary School
West Denton High School
Westerhope First School
Minister of State,
Department for Education and Employment
10th August 1998
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order establishes the Newcastle Education Action Zone, which comprises the schools listed in the Schedule. The Order also provides (in articles 4 and 5) for the membership of the Education Action Forum for the Zone.
1998 c. 31.