1998 No. 2333
LOCAL GOVERNMENT, ENGLAND AND WALES
The Borough of Boston (Electoral Changes) Order 1998
21st September 1998
Coming into force in accordance with article 1(2)
Whereas the Local Government Commission for England, acting pursuant to section 15(4) of the Local Government Act 1992(1), has submitted to the Secretary of State a report dated March 1997 on its review of the borough of Boston(2) together with its recommendations:
And whereas the Secretary of State has decided to give effect to those recommendations:
Now, therefore, the Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by sections 17(3) and 26 of the Local Government Act 1992, and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf, hereby makes the following Order:
Citation, commencement and interpretation
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Borough of Boston (Electoral Changes) Order 1998.
(2) This Order shall come into force for all purposes on 6th May 1999, except that for the purpose of all proceedings preliminary or relating to an election to be held on or after that date this Order shall come into force on 10th October 1998.
(3) In this Order–
“the borough” means the borough of Boston;
“existing”, in relation to a ward, means the ward as it exists on the date this Order is made;
any reference to “the map” is a reference to the map prepared by the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions, marked “Map of the Borough of Boston (Electoral Changes) Order 1998”, and deposited in accordance with regulation 27 of the Local Government Changes for England Regulations 1994(4); and
any reference to a numbered sheet is a reference to the sheet of the map which bears that number.
Wards of Boston
2.—(1) The existing wards of the borough(5) shall be abolished.
(2) The borough shall be divided into eighteen wards which shall bear the names set out in column (1) of the Schedule.
(3) The wards shall comprise the areas described in column (2) of that Schedule by reference to parishes, or parishes and parish wards, or, where no area is so described, the area designated on the map by reference to the name of the ward and demarcated by red lines; and the number of councillors to be elected for each ward shall be the number specified in respect of the ward in column (3) of that Schedule.
(4) Where a boundary is shown on the map as running along a road, railway line, footway, waterway or other similar geographical feature, it shall be treated as running along the centre line of the feature.
Wards of the parish of Fishtoft
3.—(1) The existing wards of the parish of Fishtoft shall be abolished.
(2) The parish of Fishtoft shall be divided into two parish wards which shall bear the names Hilldyke and Village and the wards shall comprise the areas designated on sheets 5 and 6 of the map by reference to the name of the ward and demarcated by orange lines.
(3) The numbers of councillors to be elected for Hilldyke and Village parish wards shall be three and eight respectively.
4. The Borough of Boston (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1977 is hereby revoked.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State
Minister of State,
Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions
21st September 1998
SCHEDULEBOROUGH OF BOSTON: NAMES AND AREAS OF WARDS AND NUMBERS OF COUNCILLORS
Name of ward
Area of ward
Number of councillors
The parishes of Benington, Butterwick, Freiston and Leverton
The parishes of Algarkirk, Bicker, Fosdyke, Sutterton and Wigtoft
Frampton and Holme
The parish of Frampton and the Holme ward of the parish of Kirton
The Village ward of Kirton parish
Old Leake and Wrangle
The parishes of Old Leake and Wrangle
Swineshead and Holland Fen
The parishes of Amber Hill, Holland Fen with Brothertoft and Swineshead
The parish of Wyberton
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order gives effect to recommendations by the Local Government Commission for England for electoral changes in the borough of Boston.
Article 2 abolishes all of the existing wards of the borough and provides for the creation of 18 new wards. That article and Schedule also make provision for the names and areas of, and numbers of councillors for, the new wards.
Article 3 makes electoral changes in the parish of Fishtoft.
The areas of the new district and parish wards are demarcated on the map described in article 1(3). Prints of the map may be inspected at all reasonable times at the offices of the Boston Borough Council and at the offices of the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, which are located at 2nd Floor, Ashdown House, 123 Victoria Street, London SW1E 6DE.
1992 c. 19.
The non-metropolitan district of Boston has the status of a borough.
Section 17 is amended by section 39(4) and (5) of the Police and Magistrates' Courts Act 1994 (c. 29).
S.I. 1994/867, to which there are amendments no relevant to this Order.
see The Borough of Boston (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1977 (S.I. 1977/412).