1998 No. 2336
LOCAL GOVERNMENT, ENGLAND AND WALES
The District of South Holland (Electoral Changes) Order 1998
21st September 1998
Coming into force in accordance with article 1(2)
Whereas the Local Government Commission for England, acting pursuant to section 15(4) of the Local Government Act 1992(1), has submitted to the Secretary of State a report dated March 1997 on its review of the district of South Holland together with its recommendations:
And whereas the Secretary of State has decided to give effect to those recommendations:
Now, therefore, the Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by sections 17(2) and 26 of the Local Government Act 1992, and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf, hereby makes the following Order:
Citation, commencement and interpretation
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the District of South Holland (Electoral Changes) Order 1998.
(2) This Order shall come into force for all purposes on 6th May 1999, except that for the purpose of all proceedings preliminary or relating to an election to be held on or after that date this Order shall come into force on 10th October 1998.
(3) In this Order—
“the district” means the district of South Holland;
“existing”, in relation to a ward, means the ward as it exists on the date this Order is made;
any reference to the map is a reference to the map prepared by the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions, marked “Map of the District of South Holland (Electoral Changes) Order 1998”, and deposited in accordance with regulation 27 of the Local Government Changes for England Regulations 1994(3).
Wards of South Holland
2.—(1) The existing wards of the district(4) shall be abolished.
(2) The district shall be divided into twenty two wards which shall bear the names set out in column (1) of Schedule 1.
(3) The wards shall comprise the areas described in column (2) of that Schedule by reference to parishes, or parishes and parish wards, or, where no area is so described, the area designated on the map by reference to the name of the ward and demarcated by red lines; and the number of councillors to be elected for each ward shall be the number specified in respect of the ward in column (3) of that Schedule.
(4) Where a boundary is shown on the map as running along a road, railway line, footway, waterway or other similar geographical feature, it shall be treated as running along the centre line of the feature.
Wards of the parish of Holbeach
3.—(1) The existing wards of the parish of Holbeach shall be abolished.
(2) The parish shall be divided into three parish wards which shall bear the names set out in column (1) of Schedule 2; each parish ward shall comprise the area of the district ward specified in respect of the parish ward in column (2) of that Schedule and the number of councillors to be elected for each parish ward shall be the number specified in respect of the parish ward in column (3) of that Schedule.
4. The District of South Holland (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1978 is hereby revoked.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State
Minister of State,
Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions
21st September 1998
SCHEDULEDISTRICT OF SOUTH HOLLAND: NAMES AND AREAS OF WARDS AND NUMBERS OF COUNCILLORS
Name of ward
Area of ward
Number of councillors
The parish of Crowland
Deeping St Nicholas
The parish of Deeping St Nicholas
The parishes of Donington and Quadring
The parish of Fleet
The parish of Gedney
The Village parish ward of the parish of Gosberton
Holbeach St John's
The parishes of Little Sutton, Long Sutton, Lutton and Tydd St Mary
The parish of Pinchbeck
Spalding Monks House
Spalding St John's
Spalding St Mary's
Spalding St Paul's
The Risegate parish ward of the parish of Gosberton and the parish of Surfleet
The parish of Sutton Bridge
The parishes of Gedney Hill, Sutton St Edmund and Sutton St James
Weston and Moulton
The parishes of Cowbit, Moulton and Weston
The Saracens Head, The Village and St Catherine’s parish wards of the parish of Whaplode
SCHEDULE 2WARDS OF THE PARISH OF HOLBEACH: NAMES, AREAS AND NUMBERS OF COUNCILLORS
Name of ward
Description of area
Number of councillors
Such part of the parish of Holbeach that is within the district ward of Holbeach St John's
The Holbeach Hurn district ward
The Holbeach Town district ward
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order gives effect to recommendations by the Local Government Commission for England for electoral changes in the district of South Holland.
Article 2 abolishes all of the existing wards of the district and provides for the creation of 22 new wards. That article and Schedule 1 also make provision for the names and areas of, and numbers of councillors for, the new wards.
Article 3 makes electoral changes in the parish of Holbeach.
The areas of the new district and parish wards are demarcated on the map described in article 1(3). Prints of the map may be inspected at all reasonable times at the offices of South Holland District Council and at the offices of the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions which are located at 2nd Floor, Ashdown House, 123 Victoria Street, London SW1E 6DE.
1992 c. 19.
Section 17 is amended by section 39(4) and (5) of the Police and Magistrates' Courts Act 1994 (c. 29).
S.I. 1994/867, to which there are amendments not relevant to this Order.
see The District of South Holland (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1978 (S.I. 1978/482).