1998 No. 2337
LOCAL GOVERNMENT, ENGLAND AND WALES
The District of South Kesteven (Electoral Changes) Order 1998
21st September 1998
Coming into force in accordance with article 1(2)
Whereas the Local Government Commission for England, acting pursuant to section 15(4) of the Local Government Act 1992(1), has submitted to the Secretary of State a report dated March 1997 on its review of the district of South Kesteven together with its recommendations:
And whereas the Secretary of State has decided to give effect to those recommendations:
Now, therefore, the Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by sections 17(2) and 26 of the Local Government Act 1992, and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf, hereby makes the following Order:
Citation, commencement and interpretation
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the District of South Kesteven (Electoral Changes) Order 1998.
(2) This Order shall come into force for all purposes on 6th May 1999, except that for the purpose of all proceedings preliminary or relating to an election to be held on or after that date this Order shall come into force on 10th October 1998.
(3) In this Order—
“the district” means the district of South Kesteven;
“existing”, in relation to a ward, means the ward as it exists on the date this Order is made;
any reference to “the map” is a reference to the map prepared by the Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions, marked “Map of the District of South Kesteven (Electoral Changes) Order 1998”, and deposited in accordance with regulation 27 of the Local Government Changes for England Regulations 1994(3); and
any reference to a numbered sheet is a reference to the sheet of the map which bears that number.
Wards of South Kesteven
2.—(1) The existing wards of the district(4) shall be abolished.
(2) The district shall be divided into thirty four wards which shall bear the names set out in column (1) of the Schedule.
(3) The wards shall comprise the areas described in column (2) of that Schedule by reference to parishes, or, where no area is so described, the area designated on the map by reference to the name of the ward and demarcated by red lines; and the number of councillors to be elected for each ward shall be the number specified in respect of the ward in column (3) of that Schedule.
(4) Where a boundary is shown on the map as running along a road, railway line, footway, waterway or other similar geographical feature, it shall be treated as running along the centre line of the feature.
Wards of the parish of Bourne
3.—(1) The existing wards of the parish of Bourne shall be abolished.
(2) The parish shall be divided into two parish wards which shall bear the names Bourne East and Bourne West and each parish ward shall comprise the area of the ward of the district bearing the same name.
(3) The number of councillors to be elected for the Bourne East and Bourne West parish wards shall be seven and eight respectively.
Wards of the parish of Stamford
4.—(1) The existing wards of the parish of Stamford shall be abolished.
(2) The parish shall be divided into four parish wards which shall bear the names All Saints, St George's, St Mary’s and Stamford St John’s and each parish ward shall comprise the area of the ward of the district bearing the same name.
(3) The number of councillors to be elected for each parish ward shall be five for each of the All Saints, St George’s and St Mary’s wards and for Stamford St John’s shall be six (making a total of 21 councillors).
Numbers of parish councillors
5.—(1) The number of councillors to be elected for the Baston parish shall be nine.
(2) The number of councillors to be elected for the Colsterworth parish shall be eleven.
(3) The number of councillors to be elected for the Deeping St James parish shall be fifteen.
(4) The number of councillors to be elected for the Heydour parish shall be six.
(5) The number of councillors to be elected for the Morton parish shall be eleven.
6. The District of South Kesteven (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1978 is hereby revoked.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State
Minister of State,
Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions
21st September 1998
SCHEDULEDISTRICT OF SOUTH KESTEVEN: NAMES AND AREAS OF WARDS AND NUMBERS OF COUNCILLORS
Name of ward
Area of ward
Number of councillors
The parishes of Aslackby & Laughton, Dowsby, Dunsby, Kirkby Underwood, Pointon & Sempringham and Rippingale
The parish of Barrowby
The parish of Londonthorpe and Harrowby Without
Deeping St James
The parish of Deeping St James
The parishes of Ancaster, Barkston, Belton & Manthorpe and Syston
The parishes of Denton, Great Ponton, Harlaxton, Little Ponton and Stroxton, Woolsthorpe By Belvoir and Wyville cum Hungerton
The parishes of Bitchfield and Bassingthorpe, Boothby Pagnell, Burton Coggles, Corby Glen, Edenham, Irnham, Swayfield and Swinstead
Grantham St John's
The parishes of Caythorpe and Fulbeck
The parishes of Braceborough and Wilsthorpe, Careby Aunby and Holywell, Carlby, Counthorpe and Creeton, Greatford, Little Bytham, Toft with Lound and Manthorpe and Witham-on-the-Hill
The parishes of Colsterworth, Easton, Gunby and Stainby, Skillington and Stoke Rochford
The parishes of Braceby and Sapperton, Heydour, Ingoldsby, Lenton Keisby and Osgodby, Old Somerby, Pickworth, Ropsley and Humby and Welby
The parishes of Carlton Scroop, Claypole, Fenton, Honington, Hough-on-the-Hill, Normanton and Stubton
Market and West Deeping
The parishes of Market Deeping and West Deeping
The parishes of Castle Bytham, North Witham and South Witham
The parish of Great Gonerby
The parishes of Haconby and Morton
The parishes of Long Bennington and Westborough and Dry Doddington
Stamford St John's
The parish of Thurlby
The parishes of Billingborough, Horbling and Folkingham
The parishes of Barholm and Stowe, Baston, Langtoft, Tallington and Uffington
The parishes of Allington, Hougham, Marston, Foston and Sedgebrook
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order gives effect to recommendations by the Local Government Commission for England for electoral changes in the district of South Kesteven.
Article 2 abolishes all of the existing wards of the district and provides for the creation of 34 new wards. That article and Schedule also make provision for the names and areas of, and numbers of councillors for, the new wards.
Articles 3 to 5 make electoral changes in the parishes of Baston, Bourne, Colsterworth, Deeping St James, Heydour, Morton and Stamford.
The areas of the new district and parish wards are demarcated on the map described in article 1(3). Prints of the map may be inspected at all reasonable times at the offices of South Kesteven District Council and at the offices of the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions, which are located at 2nd Floor, Ashdown House, 123 Victoria Street, London SW1E 6DE.
1992 c. 19.
Section 17 is amended by section 39(4) and (5) of the Police and Magistrates' Courts Act 1994 (c. 29).
S.I. 1994/867, to which there are amendments not relevant to this Order.
see The District of South Kesteven (Electoral Arrangements) Order 1978 (S.I. 1978/43).