1998 No. 2407
HIGHWAYS, ENGLAND AND WALES
The M41 West Cross Route (Holland Park Roundabout to A40(M)/M41 Junction Trunk Road) Order 1998
23rd September 1998
Coming into force
13th October 1998
The Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions makes this Order in exercise of powers conferred by sections 10 and 41 of Highways Act 1980(1) and now vested in him(2), and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf:
1. This Order may be cited as the M41 West Cross Route (Holland Park Roundabout to A40(M)/M41 Junction Trunk Road) Order 1998 and shall come into force on 13th October 1998.
2. In this Order:
(1) all measurements of distance are measured along the route of the relevant highway;
(2) (i) “the main new road” means the new highway which the Secretary of State proposes to construct along the route described in Schedule 1 to this Order;
(ii)“the new trunk roads” means the main new road and the slip roads;
(iii)“the plan” means the plan numbered LRO-B 64/H5390/2/1 marked “The M41 West Cross Route (Holland Park Roundabout to A40(M)/M41 Junction Trunk Road) Order 1998”, signed by authority of the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions and deposited at the Highways Agency, St Christopher House, Southwark Street, London SE1 0TE; and
(iv)“the slip roads” means the new highways which the Secretary of State proposes to construct along the routes described in Schedule 2 to this Order and which connect the main new road with another highway at the places stated in that Schedule.
3. The main new road and the slip roads shall become trunk roads from the date when this Order comes into force.
4. The centre line of each of the new trunk roads is indicated by a heavy black line on the plan.
5. The Secretary of State directs as respects any part of a highway which crosses the route of any of the new trunk roads that–
(a)where the highway is maintainable at the public expense by a local highway authority, the part in question shall be maintained by that authority, and
(b)where the highway is not so maintainable and is not maintainable under a special enactment or by reason of tenure, enclosure or prescription, the Secretary of State shall be under no duty to maintain the part in question,
until, in either case, a date to be specified in a notice given by the Secretary of State to the highway authority for that highway. The date specified will not be later than the date on which the relevant route is opened for traffic.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions
Divisional Director Highways Agency
23rd September 1998
SCHEDULE 1ROUTE OF THE NEW TRUNK ROAD
The route of the main new road is about 195 metres in length, from the easternmost highway boundary of the existing M41 West Cross Route westwards to a proposed new roundabout on Ariel Way in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, this route being given the letter E on the plan.
SCHEDULE 2ROUTES OF THE SLIP ROADS
The routes of the slip roads comprise four routes to connect the main new road with the existing M41 West Cross Route the slip roads along these routes being respectively given the letters A, B, C and D on the plan.
1980 c. 66.
S.I. 1981/238 and S.I. 1997/2971.