1997 No. 762
HIGHWAYS, ENGLAND AND WALES
The City of Manchester (Egerton Street West Bridge Scheme) 1994 Confirmation Instrument 1997
6th March 1997
The Secretary of State for Transport makes this Instrument in exercise of powers conferred by section 106(3) of the Highways Act 1980(1) and now vested in him(2) and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf:
1. This Instrument may be cited as “The City of Manchester (Egerton Street West Bridge Scheme) 1994 Confirmation Instrument 1997” and shall come into force on the date on which notice that it has been confirmed is first published in accordance with paragraph 1 of Schedule 2 to the Highways Act 1980.
2. The City of Manchester (Egerton Street West Bridge Scheme) 1994 (“the Scheme”) is hereby confirmed with modifications.
3. The Scheme as confirmed is set out in the Schedule hereto and copies of the Scheme with its accompanying plans as modified are deposited at the offices of the Department of Transport and at the offices of the Council of the City of Manchester at the Town Hall, Albert Square, Manchester, M60 2LA.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for Transport
Regional Director Government Office for the North East
6th March 1997 TAKE IN FOUR MAPS
THE SCHEDULEThe City of Manchester (Egerton Street West Bridge Scheme) 1994
The Council of the City of Manchester (“the Council”) make this Scheme in exercise of their powers under Sections 106(3) and 108(4) of the Highways Act 1980 and of all other powers enabling them in that behalf:—
1. The Council are authorised to construct over the navigable waters of the Bridgewater Canal the bridge specified in the Schedule to this Scheme as part of the highway which they are proposing to improve between Chester Road and Regent Road in the City of Manchester.
2. The Council are also authorised in connection with the construction of the said bridge to divert part of the navigable watercourse specified in the said Schedule in the manner shown in that Schedule.
3. This Scheme may be cited as “The City of Manchester (Egerton Street West Bridge Scheme) 1994”.
THE SCHEDULE TO THE SCHEMESPECIFICATION
POINTS OF COMMENCEMENT AND TERMINATION (See Plan ‘C’)
From a point north of the canal whose co-ordinates are 382807.58E, 397480.45N, to a point south of the canal whose co-ordinates are 382814.22E, 397468.56N.
Precast prestressed concrete beams with insitu reinforced concrete slab deck on reinforced concrete abutments faced with brickwork.
13.60 metres clear square span (13.62 metres skew span).
10.50 metre single carriageway with 1.50 metre cycleway and 3.0 metre footway on the west side, and 3.0 metre verge on the east side (18.0 metres overall width).
3.60 metres minimum headroom over the 10 metre width of the canal above the nominal water level of 25.260 metres A.O.D. and 2.10 metres minimum headroom over the canal towpath.
LENGTH OF WATERCOURSE TO BE DIVERTED
The length of the watercourse to be diverted is the Bridgewater Canal between a point on the north bank whose co-ordinates are 382818.38E, 397486.10N, to a point on the north bank whose co-ordinates are 382755.24E, 397472.93N. This length is highlighted and marked “Length of canal to be filled” on the deposited Plan `B'.
The existing south bank retaining wall will be retained. A new abutment will be constructed and act as a retaining wall to the canal on the north side. The existing width of the canal varies from 13 metres to 18 metres and will be reduced to 10 metres.
THE COMMON SEAL of THE COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF MANCHESTER was hereunto affixed in pursuance of an Order of the Council of the said City:—
DATED this 8th day of November 1994
1980 c. 66.