1997 No. 942 (S.84)
BETTING, GAMING AND LOTTERIES
The Gaming Clubs (Hours and Charges) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 1997
14th March 1997
Laid before Parliament
20th March 1997
Coming into force
15th April 1997
The Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by sections 14(2) and (3), 22(4) and 51 of the Gaming Act 1968(1), and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf, and after consultation with the Gaming Board for Great Britain in accordance with section 51(2) of that Act, hereby makes the following Regulations:
1.—(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Gaming Clubs (Hours and Charges) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 1997 and shall come into force on 15th April 1997.
(2) These Regulations extend to Scotland only.
(3) In these Regulations “the Principal Regulations” means the Gaming Clubs (Hours and Charges) (Scotland) Regulations 1984(2).
2. Regulation 3 of the Principal Regulations shall be amended by substituting, for the words “seven thirty” in paragraph (1)(b) and paragraph (2)(a), the words “two in the afternoon”.
3.—(1) In sub-paragraph (b) of regulation 5(1) of the Principal Regulations, the following words shall be omitted, namely “except that where there are two charging periods on a Sunday, the charge in relation to that charging period which is shorter in duration than two hours but not shorter in duration than one and a half hours shall be of a fixed sum of money not exceeding £6(3) (exclusive of value added tax)”.
(2) In sub-paragraph (c) of regulation 5(1) of the Principal Regulations the following words shall be omitted, namely “in the case of a charging period which is one of two charging periods on a Sunday and is shorter in duration than two hours but not shorter in duration than one and a half hours, exceed £6 (exclusive of value added tax), and in the case of any other charging period does not”.
4. The Gaming Clubs (Hours and Charges) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 1984(4) and regulation 2(b) of the Gaming Clubs (Hours and Charges) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 1996(5) are hereby revoked.
Minister of State, Scottish Office
St Andrew’s House,
14th March 1997
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
These Regulations are consequential on the Deregulation (Gaming on Sunday in Scotland) Order 1997 (S.I. 941). That Order, which comes into force on the same day as these Regulations, amends section 18 of the Gaming Act 1968 so that that section will prohibit gaming on Sunday in Scotland between 4am and 2pm. Prior to that amendment the prohibition was between 4am and 7.30pm.
In consequence of that amendment, there will no longer be a charging period in respect of gaming in bingo club premises of one and a half hours. These Regulations amend the Gaming Clubs (Hours and Charges) (Scotland) Regulations 1984 (S.I. 1984/470) to reflect that fact.
1968 c. 65.
S.I. 1984/470; relevant amending instruments are S.I. 1984/1804 and 1996/1144.
The figure of £6 in Regulation 5(1), in both places where it occurs, is as substituted by S.I. 1996/1144.