1997 No. 3047
CRIMINAL LAW, NORTHERN IRELAND
The Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act 1996 (Code of Practice) (Northern Ireland) Order 1997
Approved by both Houses of Parliament
12th November 1997
Laid before Parliament
13th November 1997
Coming into force in accordance with article 1(1)
(1) In pursuance of section 23 of the Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act 1996(1) (hereinafter referred to as “the Act”) the Secretary of State is under a duty to prepare a code of practice containing provisions designed to secure the matters specified in subsection (1) of that section:
(2) In pursuance of section 25(1) of the Act the Secretary of State published the code prepared by her under section 23 of the Act in the form of a draft and has considered representations made to her about the draft and modified the draft accordingly.
(3) In pursuance of section 25(2) of the Act the Secretary of State has laid the code referred to in paragraph (2) above before both Houses of Parliament.
Now, therefore, the Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred on her by section 25 of the Act, hereby orders as follows:
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act 1996 (Code of Practice) (Northern Ireland) Order 1997 and shall come into force on the day specified in article 2 below.
(2) This Order extends only to Northern Ireland.
2. The day hereby appointed for the purposes of section 25(2) of the Act is the day which shall be appointed for the purposes of Part 1 of the Act by order under section 1 of the Act; and the code of practice laid before Parliament on 3rd November 1997 containing the provisions referred to in section 23 of the Act shall come into operation accordingly on that day.
Minister of State
Northern Ireland Office
12th November 1997
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order appoints as the day on which the code of practice prepared under section 23 of the Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act 1996 (“the 1996 Act”) is brought into operation in Northern Ireland the day which shall be appointed for the purposes of Part 1 of the 1996 Act (disclosure).
The code, which contains provisions relating to the conduct of criminal investigations, applies by virtue of section 25(3) of the 1996 Act in relation to suspended or alleged offences into which no criminal investigation has begun before the day on which the code comes into operation.
The code of practice will be published by The Stationery Office Limited; copies may be obtained from The Stationery Office Bookshops.
1996 c. 25.