1997 No. 1604
BETTING, GAMING AND LOTTERIES
The Horserace Betting Levy (Bookmakers' Committee) Regulations 1997
26th June 1997
Coming into force
24th July 1997
The Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by section 26(1) of the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act 1963(1), and after consultation with such bodies as appear to him to be representative of the interests of bookmakers generally, hereby makes the following Regulations:
1. These Regulations may be cited as the Horserace Betting Levy (Bookmakers' Committee) Regulations 1997 and shall come into force on 24th July 1997.
2. The Bookmakers' Committee shall consist of 12 members of whom—
(a)6 shall be appointed by the Betting Office Licensees Association Ltd;
(b)3 shall be appointed by the National Association of Bookmakers Ltd from amongst persons nominated for the purpose by associations for the time being affiliated to the National Association of Bookmakers Ltd;
(c)2 shall be appointed by the British Betting Office Association Ltd; and
(d)1 shall be appointed by the Scottish S. P. Bookmakers' Association.
3. The appointment of a member of the Committee shall be for a term of 3 years, but a person ceasing to be a member on the expiry of his term of office shall not on that account be ineligible for re-appointment.
4. A person may be removed at any time from membership of the Committee by the body by which he was appointed.
5. Where any vacancy occurs in the membership of the Committee, the body by which the person whose office has been vacated was appointed shall, as soon as practicable, make a fresh appointment to the Committee (that is to say an appointment for a term of 3 years).
6. The members of the Committee shall appoint one of their number to be the chairman of the Committee and, subject to his remaining a member of the Committee, he shall hold office as chairman for such period as they may determine and shall be eligible for re-appointment as such.
7. Seven members present (or such larger number of members as the Committee may from time to time determine) shall be a quorum at any meeting of the Committee.
8. The Horserace Betting Levy (Bookmakers' Committee) Regulations 1982(2) are hereby revoked.
Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State
26th June 1997
(This note is not part of the Regulations)
These Regulations make new provision for the constitution of the Bookmakers' Committee established under section 26 of the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act 1963.
A new body, the British Betting Office Association, is to appoint 2 members of the reconstituted Committee. The Betting Office Licensees Association (which previously appointed 5 members) is to appoint 6 members of the Committee, as a consequence of their merger with the National Sporting League (which previously appointed 1 member). The National Association of Bookmakers is to appoint 3 members of the Committee (previously 5); and the Scottish S. P. Bookmakers' Association will continue to appoint 1 member.
1963 c. 2.