Whereas a draft of this Order has been approved by a resolution of each House of Parliament:
Now, therefore, Her Majesty, in exercise of the powers conferred by paragraph 1 of Schedule 1 to the [1974 c. 28] Northern Ireland Act 1974 and of all other powers enabling Her in that behalf, is pleased, by and with the advice of Her Privy Council, to order, and it is hereby ordered, as follows:—
Title and commencement
1. This Order may be cited as the Appropriation (No. 2) (Northern Ireland) Order 1997 and shall come into operation forthwith.
2. The [1954 c. 33 (N.I.).] Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954 shall apply to Article 1 and the following provisions of this Order as it applies to a Measure of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Issue of sums out of the Consolidated Fund for the year ended 31st March 1996 and the year ending 31st March 1998
3.—(1) The Department of Finance and Personnel may issue out of the Consolidated Fund and apply towards malting good the supply granted to Her Majesty for the service of the year ended on 31st March 1996 the sum of one thousand pounds.
(2) The Department of Finance and Personnel may issue out of the Consolidated Fund and apply towards making good the supply granted to Her Majesty for the service of the year ending on 31st March 1998 the sum of three thousand, six hundred and thirty-one million, eight hundred and eighty-nine thousand pounds.
Power for Department of Finance and Personnel to borrow
4.—(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the Department of Finance and Personnel may borrow on the credit of the aforesaid sums. any sum or sums not exceeding in the whole one thousand, eight hundred and sixteen million pounds.
(2) Any money so borrowed shall be repaid, with any interest due thereon, out of the Consolidated Fund at any date not later than 3 1 st March 1998.
Appropriation of grants
5.—(1) The sum granted by Article 3(1) out of the Consolidated Fund is appropriated for the services and purposes specified in Part I of Schedule 1.
(2) The sum already authorised to be appropriated in aid for the year ended on 31st March 1996 shall be increased by the sum specified in the third column of Part I of Schedule 1 for the service in connection with which that sum is specified.
(3) The sum granted by Article 3(2) out of the Consolidated Fund is appropriated for the several services and purposes specified in Part II of Schedule 1,
(4) In addition to the sum granted by Article 3(2) out of the Consolidated Fund, there may be applied as appropriations in aid of the grants for the several services and purposes specified in Part II of Schedule 1, the sums respectively specified in the third column.
Repeal of spent enactments
6. The enactments mentioned in Schedule 2 are hereby repealed to the extent specified in the third column of that Schedule.
N. H. Nicholls
Clerk of the Privy Council
PART IEXCESS FOR YEAR 1995-1996
SCHEDULE of sum granted to make good an excess on a grant for the year ended on 31st March 1996 and of the increase in the sum which was authorised to be applied as an appropriation in aid in addition thereto 9 viz—
Sums Granted (£)
Increase of Appropriation in Aid (£)
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH. AND SOCIAL SERVICES
3. Administration and miscellaneous services.
SCHEDULE of sums granted, and of the sums which may be applied as appropriations in aid in addition thereto, to defray the charges of the several services herein particularly mentioned, which will come in course of payment during the year ending on 3 1st March 1998 viz:—
Sums Granted (£)
Increase of Appropriation in Aid (£)
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
1. For expenditure by the Department of Agriculture on market support, grants for capital and other improvements, certain alternative land uses, support for agriculture in special areas. assistance to production and market development.
2. For expenditure by the Department of Agriculture on development of the agriculture and agricultural products industries. scientific and veterinary services, regional measures for farm support and enhancement of the countryside. fisheries and forestry services and for central administration and rural development.
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
1. For expenditure by the Department of Economic Development on the administrative costs of the Executive of the lndustrial Development Board, provision and maintenance of land and buildings, industrial development promotion, selective assistance and other services related to industry, and aircraft and shipbuilding.
2. For expenditure by the Department of Economic Development on local enterprise, the Industrial Research and Technology Unit, labour market services, development of tourism, energy efficiency, assistance to the gas and electricity industries (including residual costs in connection with the privatisation of the electricity industry in Northern Ireland), mineral exploration and other miscellaneous services, administrative costs of the Department of Economic Development Headquarters, and other miscellaneous services, including grants in aid.
3. For expenditure by the Department of Economic Development on the Training and Employment Agency for administrative costs, youth and adult training, training in skills, management and enterprise training. community projects. training to improve company competitiveness, and employment schemes and services including those for people with disabilities.
OFFICE FOR THE REGULATION OF ELECTRICITY AND GAS
1. For expenditure by the Office for the Regulation of Electricity and Gas.
DEPARTMENT OF THE ENVIRONMENT
1. For expenditure by the Department of the Environment on the Roads Service, ferry services, road safety, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Northern Ireland, the Driver and Vehicle Testing Agency, transport services and harbour services.
2. For expenditure by the Department of the Environment on housing services, including certain grants in aid.
3. For expenditure by the Department of the Environment on the Water Service and related services.
4. For expenditure by the Department of the Environment on the Environment and Heritage Service, urban affairs and lands, the Planning Service, the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, the Land Registers of Northern Ireland, the Rate Collection Agency, Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland, Consolidated Fund contributions to local revenues, central administration, accommodation and miscellaneous services, the Construction Service, certain grants in aid and promotional activities and events.
5. For expenditure by the Department of the Environment on fire and related services.
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
1. For expenditure by the Department of Education on: pre-school education, schools, further education, higher education. teacher training, libraries, arts. museums, youth, Sport. community relations, Armagh Observatory and Planetarium, administration and certain miscellaneous services (including some minor grants in aid); on grants and grants in aid to education and library boards for certain services and for mandatory student awards; and payments by the Department on behalf of the boards in respect of teachers' salaries.
2. For expenditure by the Department of Education on pensions, allowances, gratuities etc., certain payments to the Northern Ireland National Insurance Fund and certain payments on behalf of the education and library boards in respect of premature retirement compensation.
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND SOCIAL SERVICES
1. For expenditure by the Department of Health and Social Services on hospital, community health, personal social services, Health and Social Services trusts, family health services and certain other services.
2. For expenditure by the Department of Health and Social Services on superannuation benefits etc to or in respect of persons engaged in the health and personal social services or in other approved employment.
3. For expenditure by the Department of Health and Social Services on grants to voluntary bodies, research, training bursaries a n d further education and certain other services.
4. For expenditure by the Department of Health and Social Services on administration, on agency charges, on the promotion of Government policy on disability issues and on certain other services including a grant to the Northern Ireland Housing Executive for the administration costs of the Housing Benefit Scheme; on the administration of agency services for the Department of Social Security; and for the provision, including purchase, of accommodation and related works and other accommodation services and costs.
5. For expenditure by the Department of Health and Social Services on non-contributory retirement pensions, Christmas bonus payments to pensioners, attendance allowance, invalid cam allowance, severe disablement allowance, disability living allowance, disability working allowance; on pensions, gratuities and sundry allowances for disablement and specified deaths arising from industrial causes; on income support, payments of spousal and child maintenance, child benefit, one parent benefit, family credit, jobseeker’s allowance (contribution based), jobseeker’s allowance (income based), back to work bonus and child maintenance bonus.
6. For expenditure by the Department of Health and Social Services on grant in aid to the Independent Living Funds, a grant to the Northern Ireland Housing Executive for the payment of housing benefit (rent rebate, rent allowance, discretionary payments of rent allowance and on rates rebate). for sums payable into the Social Fund for expenditure on community care grants, budgeting and crisis loans, maternity payments, funeral payments and cold weather payments and for sums payable to the Northern Ireland National Insurance Fund to increase its income and as compensation for the employers' national insurance remission in respect of employing the long term unemployed and for statutory sick pay and statutory maternity pay.
DEPARTMENT OF FINANCE AND PERSONNEL
1. For expenditure by the Department of Finance and Personnel on financial administration. central management of the Civil Service, Central Secretariat, Commissioner for Public Appointments, involvement in wider public sector personnel issues, the Valuation and Lands Agency, the Business Development Service, the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency, the Government Purchasing Agency and other services, including certain miscellaneous expenses and grant in aid and other common services.
2. For expenditure by the Department of Finance and Personnel on pensions, lump sums and gratuities to former civil servants, pensions to widows, widowers, children and dependants and civil pensions and gratuities.
3. For expenditure by the Department of Finance and Personnel on community relations, cultural traditions, district council programmes and the Northern Ireland Community Relations Council.
NORTHERN IRELAND ASSEMBLY
1. For expenditure of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
NORTHERN IRELAND AUDIT OFFICE
1. For expenditure of the Northern Ireland Audit Office.
PARLIAMENTARY OMBUDSMAN FOR NORTHERN IRELAND AND NORTHERN IRELAND COMMISSIONER FOR COMPLAINTS
1. For expenditure by the Parliamentary Ombudsman for Northern Ireland and Northern Ireland Commissioner for Complaints.
Extent of repeal
1994 NI 3.
The Appropriation (Northern Ireland) Order 1994.
The whole Order.
1994 NI 7.
The Appropriation (No. 2) (Northern Ireland) Order 1994.
The whole Order.
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order authorises the issue out of the Consolidated Fund of -Northern Ireland of further sums for the year ended on 31st March 1996 and the year ending on 31st March 1998 and appropriates those sums for specified services in Northern Ireland. It also authorises the application of certain sums as appropriations in aid for the year ending on 31 st March 1998 and increases a sum authorised to be applied as ? an appropriation in aid for the year ended on 31 st March 1996. In addition the Order repeals certain spent enactments.