1997 No. 1884
The General Medical Council (Registration (Fees) (Amendment) Regulations) Order of Council 1997
30th July 1997
At the Council Chamber, Whitehall, the 30th day of July 1997
By the Lords of Her Majesty’s Most Honourable Privy Council
Whereas in pursuance of section 32 of the Medical Act 1983(1) the General Medical Council have made the Medical Practitioners Registration (Fees) (Amendment) Regulations 1997, as set out in the Schedule to this Order:
And whereas by subsection (8) of the said section such regulations shall not have effect until approved by Order of the Privy Council:
Now, therefore, their Lordships, having taken the said regulations into consideration, in exercise of the powers conferred by the said section 32(8), do hereby order as follows:
1. The said regulations are hereby approved.
2. This order may be cited as the General Medical Council (Registration (Fees) (Amendment) Regulations) Order of Council 1997.
N. H. Nicholls
Clerk of the Privy Council
SCHEDULETHE MEDICAL PRACTITIONERS REGISTRATION (FEES) (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS 1997
The General Medical Council in exercise of their powers under section 32 of the Medical Act 1983 hereby make the following Regulations:
Citation, commencement and interpretation
1.—(1) These regulations may be cited as the Medical Practitioners Registration (Fees) (Amendment) Regulations 1997 and shall come into force on 1 August 1997.
(2) In these Regulations “the principal Regulations” means the Medical Practitioners Registration (Fees) Regulations 1985(2).
Amendment of the principal Regulations
2. In regulation 5 of the principal Regulations, in paragraphs (1) and (2), for the words “regulation 8 or 9” substitute “regulation 8”.
3. Regulation 9 of the principal Regulations is hereby revoked.
4. Where, before 1 August 1997, a person has applied for exemption from payment of annual retention fees pursuant to regulation 9 of the principal Regulations, but that application has not been determined before that date, his application shall be determined in accordance with the provisions of that regulation as though it remained in force.
Given under the official seal of the General Medical Council this
21st day of May, nineteen hundred and ninety-seven.
(This note is not part of the Order)
The Regulations approved by this Order revoke the provision in regulation 9 of the Medical Practitioners Registration (Fees) Regulations 1985 exempting from payment of annual retention fees any person who, not having reached the age of 65 years, satisfied the Registration Committee that he or she was prevented, by lasting physical or mental incapacity, from rendering services as a medical practitioner for remuneration resulting in a profit. In future such persons wishing to avoid payment of such fees will be expected to accept voluntary erasure from the register.
1983 c. 54.
Approved by S.I. 1986/149, to which there are relevant amendments made by S.I. 1995/2786.