1997 No. 2134
The A23 Trunk Road (Croydon) Red Route (Prohibited Turns) (No. 2) Experimental Traffic Order 1997
1st September 1997
Coming into force
14th September 1997
The Traffic Director for London, in accordance with a direction given to him by the Secretary of State under section 58(1) of the Road Traffic Act 1991(1) and in exercise of the powers conferred on the Secretary of State by sections 9 and 10 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984(2), and of all other enabling powers, hereby makes the following Order:—
Commencement and citation
1. This Order may be cited as the A23 Trunk Road (Croydon) Red Route (Prohibited Turns) (No. 2) Experimental Traffic Order 1997, and shall come into force on 14th September 1997.
2. In this Order—
(a)a reference to an article followed by a number is a reference to the article of this order so numbered;
(b)Causing includes permitting;
(c)“Purley Way” means that length of the A23 Trunk Road in the London Borough of Croydon known as Purley Way;
(d)“Miller Road” means the road of that name in the London Borough of Croydon;
3. Subject to the provisions of article 4, no person shall cause a vehicle to turn right on entering Purley Way from Miller Road.
4. The controls specified in article 3 shall not apply to—
(a)anything done with the permission or at the direction of a police constable in uniform or a traffic warden; or
(b)a vehicle being used for fire brigade, ambulance or police purposes.
Power to modify or suspend this Order
5. If it appears to the Traffic Director for London, or some person authorised by him, essential in the interests of the expeditious, convenient and safe movement of traffic, or of the provision of suitable and adequate parking facilities on-street, or for preserving or improving the amenities of the area through which any road affected by this order runs, and after consulting with the Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis, he may modify or suspend any provision of this Order, save that no modification shall make an addition.
6. The A23 Trunk Road (Croydon) Red Route (Prohibited Turns) Experimental Traffic Order 1997(3) is hereby revoked.
Signed in accordance with a direction from the Secretary of State.
Traffic Director for London
1st September 1997
1991 c. 40.
1984 c. 27.