Statutory Rules of Northern Ireland
1997 No. 24
Education (Assessment Arrangements for Key Stage 3) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 1997
27th January 1997
Coming into operation in accordance with Article 1
The Department of Education, in exercise of the powers conferred on it by Articles 7(1)(b), (2)(a)(ii) and (6) of the Education Reform (Northern Ireland) Order 1989(1) and of every other power enabling it in that behalf, hereby makes the following Order:
Citation and commencement
1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Education (Assessment Arrangements for Key Stage 3) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 1997 and, subject to paragraph (2), shall come into operation on 27th January 1997.
(2) This Order shall not take effect until 1st August 1997 insofar as it applies to pupils who are in an Irish speaking school.
Amendment of the Education (Assessment Arrangements for Key Stage 3) Order (Northern Ireland) 1996
2. The Education (Assessment Arrangements for Key Stage 3) Order (Northern Ireland) 1996(2) shall be amended as provided in regulations 3 to 5.
3. In Article 3 (Interpretation)—
(a)the definition of “assessment unit” shall be deleted;
(b)in the definition of “the Assessment Document” for the words “Assessment Arrangements in Key Stage 3” there shall be substituted “Assessment Arrangements in Key Stage 3 (Revised)(3)”.
4. In Article 5 (Assessment by teachers) for paragraphs (2) to (5) there shall be substituted—
“(2) The teacher shall determine each pupil’s level of attainment achieved in relation to each attainment target in each relevant subject by reference to the level descriptions for each attainment target specified for that subject.
(3) The record of results made under paragraph (1) for each pupil shall consist of a statement of the level of attainment achieved in relation to each attainment target as determined under paragraph (2).
(4) In making an assessment of a pupil under this Article a teacher may take into account any previous assessment of that pupil (whether or not made by that teacher).”
5. Article 8 (Arrangements for review) is hereby revoked.
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department of Education on
27th January 1997.
(This note is not part of the Order.)
This Order amends the Education (Assessment Arrangements for Key Stage 3) Order (Northern Ireland) 1996.
The Order makes the following principal changes—
Article 4 removes the requirement for teachers to administer assessment units to pupils as part of the process of assessment and to take account of the results of assessment units taken by pupils.
Article 5 removes the requirement upon the Northern Ireland Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment to set in place arrangements for the review of the standards of assessment in a school and the marking of assessment units.
S.I. 1989/2406 (N.I. 20); Article 7(2) was amended by S.I. 1996/274 (N.I. 1) Article 35(2)
S.R. 1996 No. 364
ISBN 0 337 04315 9