Statutory Rules of Northern Ireland
1997 No. 53
The Suckler Cow Premium (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1997
7th February 1997
Coming into operation
28th February 1997
The Department of Agriculture being a Department designated(1) for the purposes of section 2(2) of the European Communities Act 1972(2) in relation to the common agricultural policy of the European Community, in exercise of the powers conferred upon it by the said section 2(2) and of every other power enabling it in that behalf, hereby makes the following Regulations:—
Citation and commencement
1. These Regulations may be cited as The Suckler Cow Premium (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1997 and shall come into operation on 28th February 1997.
2. The Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954(3) shall apply to these Regulations as it applies to a Measure of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Amendment to the Suckler Cow Premium Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1993
3. The Suckler Cow Premium Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1993(4) shall be amended by the insertion of the following regulation after regulation 10—
“11. Where any additional payments provided for by Article 1 of Council Regulation (EC) No. 2443/96 providing for additional measures for direct support for producers' incomes or for the beef and veal sector(5) are made to successful applicants, then—
(a)the applicants concerned shall be deemed to have applied for those payments under regulation 3 as if they had applied for payments of premium; and
(b)those payments shall for the purposes of regulations 3A to 10 be regarded as payments of premium.”.
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department of Agriculture for Northern Ireland on
P. T. Toal
7th February 1997.
(This note is not part of the Regulations.)
1. These Regulations make an amendment to the Suckler Cow Premium Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1993 (“the principal Regulations”).
2. The amendment is that, where the additional payments provided for by Council Regulation (EC) No. 2443/96 (O.J. L333, 21.12.96, p. 2) are made to successful applicants for suckler cow premium, these payments are treated for the purposes of those provisions of the principal Regulations which relate to financial control and enforcement as being suckler cow premium payments.
3. The legal base for the payment of suckler cow premium continues to be Article 4d of Council Regulation (EEC) No. 805/68 (O.J. No. L148, 28.6.68, p. 24) (O.J./SE 1968, vol. I, p. 187). Article 4d was inserted by Council Regulation (EEC) No. 2066/92 (O.J. No. L215, 30.7.92, p. 49).
1972 c. 68; section 2 is subject to Schedule 2 to that Act and is to be read with S.I. 1984/703 (N.I. 3), S.R. 1984 No. 253 and S.I. 1994/2795 (N.I. 15)
1954 c. 33 (N.I.)
S.R. 1993 No. 280 as amended by S.R. 1994 No. 211, S.R. 1995 No. 246 and S.R. 1996 No. 229
O.J. No. L333, 21.12.96, p. 2