Statutory Rules of Northern Ireland
1997 No. 108
Eggs (Marketing Standards) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1997
26th February 1997
Coming into operation
31st March 1997
The Department of Agriculture, being a Department designated(1) for the purposes of section 2(2) of the European Communities Act 1972(2) in relation to the common agricultural policy of the European Community, in exercise of the powers conferred on it by the said section 2(2) and of every other power enabling it in that behalf, hereby makes the following Regulations:—
Citation, commencement and interpretation
1.—(1) These Regulations may be cited as the Eggs (Marketing Standards) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1997 and shall come into operation on 31st March 1997.
(2) The Interpretation Act (Northern Ireland) 1954(3) shall apply to these Regulations as it applies to a measure of the Northern Ireland Assembly.
Amendment of the Eggs (Marketing Standards) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1995
2. The Eggs (Marketing Standards) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1995(4) shall be amended in accordance with regulations 3 to 5.
3. In regulation 4 (Enforcement authorities) there shall be inserted at the end the following paragraph—
“(5) In this regulation “sale” includes possession for sale and offer, exposure or advertisement for sale.”.
4. After regulation 7 (United Kingdom official mark) there shall be inserted the following regulation—
“7A.—(1) The official mark for the purposes of the bands and labels referred to in Article 21(2) of Commission Regulation (EEC) No. 1274/91 shall consist of the letters “UK”, each letter being 1 centimetre high and surrounded by a line describing an oval.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply in the case of any band or label affixed outside Northern Ireland.”.
5. In the Schedule (Community Provisions) there shall be inserted in paragraph 2 at the end the following entry—
“(g)Commission Regulation (EC) No. 2401/95
O.J. No. L246, 13.10.95, p. 6”.
Sealed with the Official Seal of the Department of Agriculture for Northern Ireland on
26th February 1997.
(This note is not part of the Regulations.)
These Regulations amend the Eggs (Marketing Standards) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1995. They make provision for the enforcement and execution of Commission Regulation (EC) No. 2401/95 amending Regulation (EEC) No. 1274/91 introducing detailed rules for implementing Council Regulation (EEC) No. 1907/90 on certain marketing standards for eggs (regulation 5). Regulation (EC) No. 2401/95 is concerned with the optional use of the indication “eggs from caged hens”.
The Regulations insert a definition of “sale” for the purpose of identifying enforcement authorities (regulation 3).
The Regulations also prescribe the official mark for the purposes of Article 21(2) of Commission Regulation (EEC) No. 1274/91, which concerns the information to be provided on bands or labels on large packs of eggs (regulation 4).
1972 c. 68; section 2 is subject to Schedule 2 to that Act and is to be read with S.I. 1984/703 (N.I. 3) and S.I. 1994/2795 (N.I. 15)
1954 c. 33 (N.I.)
S.R. 1995 No. 382