1997 No. 131 (C.6)
The Code of Practice on Equal Pay (Appointed Day) Order 1997
21st January 1997
Laid before Parliament
24th January 1997
Coming into force
26th March 1997
(1) in pursuance of section 56A(1) of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 (1) (hereinafter referred to as “the Act”) the Equal Opportunities Commission (hereinafter referred to as “the Commission”) may issue codes of practice containing such practical guidance as the Commission think fit for either or both of the following purposes, namely, the elimination of discrimination in the field of employment and the promotion of equality of opportunity in that field between men and women;
(2) in pursuance of section 56A(2) of the Act the Commission prepared and published a draft code of practice for the said purposes so far as relating to equal pay, considered representations that were made to them about the draft and modified the draft in the light of those representations;
(3) in pursuance of section 56A(3) of the Act the Commission consulted with such organisations or associations representative of employers or of workers and such other organisations or bodies as appeared to the Commission to be appropriate;
(4) in pursuance of section 56A(4) of the Act the Commission transmitted the draft code of practice, as modified, to the Secretary of State who approved of it and laid it before both Houses of Parliament on 23rd October 1996;
(5) in accordance with section 56A(5) of the Act the modified draft code of practice lay before each House of Parliament for a period of forty days during which period neither House resolved that no further proceedings should be taken on it;
(6) in pursuance of section 56A(7) of the Act the Commission is to issue the code of practice in the form of the modified draft on 25th March 1997;
Now, therefore, the Secretary of State, in exercise of the power conferred on her by section 56A(7) of the Act, hereby orders as follows:
Citation and Commencement
1. This Order may be cited as the Code of Practice on Equal Pay (Appointed Day) Order 1997 and shall come into force on 26th March 1997.
2. The day appointed as the day on which the Code of Practice on Equal Pay (2), to be issued by the Commission on 25th March 1997 under subsections (1) and (7) of section 56A of the Act in the form of the modified draft laid before Parliament on 23rd October 1996, shall come into effect is 26th March 1997.
Secretary of State for Education and Employment
21st January 1997
(This note is not part of the Order)
The Sex Discrimination Act 1975 provides for the Equal Opportunities Commission to issue codes of practice for the elimination in the field of employment of discrimination within the meaning of that Act. Under this Order a Code of Practice on Equal Pay is to come into effect on 26th March 1997.
Copies of the Code of Practice can be obtained from Marketing and Communications Department, Equal Opportunities Commission, Overseas House, Quay Street, Manchester, M3 3HN.
1975 c. 65; section 56a was inserted by the Race Relations Act 1976 (c. 74), Schedule 4, paragraph 1 and amended by the Trade Union Reform and Employment Rights Act 1993 (c. 19) Schedule 7, paragraph 15.
ISBN number: 1 870358 64 3