1997 No. 233
HIGHWAYS, ENGLAND AND WALES
The County Council of the Royal County of Berkshire (River Kennet, Fobney Bridge Reading) Scheme 1996 Confirmation Instrument 1997
31st January 1997
The Secretary of State for Transport makes this Instrument in exercise of powers conferred by section 106(3) of the Highways Act 1980(1) and now vested in him(2) and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf:
1. This Instrument may be cited as “The County Council of the Royal County of Berkshire (River Kennet, Fobney Bridge Reading) Scheme 1996 Confirmation Instrument 1997” and shall come into force on the date on which notice that it has been confirmed is first published in accordance with paragraph 1 of Schedule 2 to the Highways Act 1980.
2. The County Council of the Royal County of Berkshire (River Kennet, Fobney Bridge Reading) Scheme 1996 (“the Scheme”) is hereby confirmed with modifications.
3. The Scheme as confirmed is set out in the Schedule hereto and copies of the Scheme as modified with its accompanying plan are deposited at the offices of the Department of Transport, Great Minster House, 76 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DR, and at the offices of the Council of the Royal County of Berkshire at Shire Hall, Shinfield Park, Reading.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for Transport.
Regional Director Government Office for the North East
31st January 1997
THE SCHEDULETHE COUNTY COUNCIL OF THE ROYAL COUNTY OF BERKSHIRE (RIVER KENNET, FOBNEY BRIDGE READING) SCHEME 1996
The County Council of the Royal County of Berkshire (hereinafter referred to as “the County Council”) makes this Scheme in exercise of its powers under Section 106(3) of the Highways Act 1980 and of all other powers enabling it in that behalf:
1. The County Council is authorised to construct over the navigable waters of the River Kennet the bridge specified in the Schedule to this Scheme as part of the highway which it is proposing to construct between Basingstoke Road (A33) and Rose Kiln Lane at Reading in the said Royal County of Berkshire.
2. This Scheme may be cited as the County Council of the Royal County of Berkshire (River Kennet, Fobney Bridge Reading) Scheme 1996.
THE SCHEDULE TO THE SCHEMETHE COUNTY COUNCIL OF THE ROYAL COUNTY OF BERKSHIRE (RIVER KENNET, FOBNEY BRIDGE READING) SCHEME 1996
The site and general design of the Bridge are shown on plan numbered 12138/30 annexed hereto.
Points of Commencement and Termination
From a point on the north bank of the River Kennet, map reference 471156 easting, 171203 northing to a point on the south bank of the River Kennet, map reference 471128 easting, 171139 northing on Ordnance Survey sheet No. SU 7171 SW.
The bridge will be 26.2 metres wide overall and will carry dual carriageways, each of 7.3 metres width with a central reserve of 3.0 metres. There will be a footway of 3.5 metres width on the west side and a verge of 1.2 metres on the east side. The overall length will be 55.27 metres from south end of parapet to north end of parapet.
Main Navigation Span
The main span will be 24.27 metres. There will be an approach span over each bank, of constant headroom for a distance of 4.0 metres to accommodate Footpath No. 2 (Reading) and for flood relief purposes.
3.7 metres over navigation channel, 2.8 metres over north and south banks.
Minimum square width of waterway 22.34 metres.
Given under the common seal of the County Council on the
21st day of February 1996.
THE COMMON SEAL OF THE COUNTY COUNCIL OF THE ROYAL COUNTY OF BERKSHIRE was hereunto affixed in the presence of:
Chief Legal Officer
1980 c. 66.