1996 No. 1176
METROPOLITAN AND CITY POLICE DISTRICTS
The London Cab (No. 2) Order 1996
19th April 1996
Coming into force
27th April 1996
The Secretary of State for Transport, in exercise of the powers conferred by section 9 of the Metropolitan Public Carriage Act 1869(1), section 1 of the London Cab and Stage Carriage Act 1907(2) and section 1 of the London Cab Act 1968(3), hereby makes the following Order:—
Citation, commencement and introduction
1. This Order may be cited as the London Cab (No. 2) Order 1996 and shall come into force on 27th April 1996.
2. The London Cab Order 1934(4) shall be amended in accordance with the following provisions of this Order.
Scales of fares
3. For paragraph 40 (scales of fares excluding extras) there shall be substituted the following—
“40.—(1) Subject to sub-paragraph (2) below, the fare payable for the hiring of a motor cab shall be according to the following scale—
(a)a hiring charge of £1.00, and
(b)in respect of any part of the hiring during which the cab travels at a speed exceeding 10.34 miles an hour, at the rate of 20p for 256.5 metres or, if the fare shown on the taximeter is £8.60 or more, at the rate of 20p for 171 metres, and
(c)in respect of any part of the hiring during which the cab is stationary or travels at a speed not exceeding 10.34 miles an hour, at a rate of 20p for 55.5 seconds or, if the fare shown on the taximeter is £8.60 or more, at the rate of 20p for 37 seconds.
(2) In any case where the fare according to the scale prescribed in sub-paragraph (1) above would be less than £1.40 the fare payable shall be £1.40, and in any other case where the fare would exceed a multiple of 20p by a sum which is less than 20p the fare payable shall be the next higher multiple of 20p.”
Amendment to extra charges
4. In paragraph 41(1)(a) (which prescribes extra charges for the carriage of additional passengers), for “30p” there shall be substituted “40p”.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State for Transport
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State,
Department of Transport
19th April 1996
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order increases the fares payable for the hiring of a motor cab in the Metropolitan Police District and the City of London in respect of all journeys beginning and ending there. It also increases the extra charge payable for the carriage of additional passengers.
1869 c. 115.
1907 c. 55.
1968 c. 7.
S.R. and O. 1934/1346; relevant amending instruments are S.I. 1980/588, 1991/1301, 1994/1087 and 1995/1181.