1996 No. 1937
HIGHWAYS, ENGLAND AND WALES
The A449 and A456 Trunk Roads (Kidderminster, Blakedown and Hagley Bypass and Slip Roads) Order 1996
17th July 1996
Coming into force
30th July 1996
The Secretary of State for Transport makes this Order in exercise of powers conferred by sections 10 and 41 of the Highways Act 1980(1) and now vested in him(2), and of all other powers enabling him in that behalf:—
1. The highways which the Secretary of State proposes to construct—
(a)along the route described in Schedule 1 (hereinafter referred to as “the main new trunk road”); and,
(b)along the routes described in Schedule 2 for the purposes of connecting the main new trunk road with other highways at the places stated in that Schedule (hereinafter referred to as “the slip roads”),
shall become trunk roads as from the date when this Order comes into force.
2. The centre lines of each of the new trunk roads are indicated by black heavy lines on the deposited plan.
3. The Secretary of State directs as respects any part of a highway which crosses the route of any of the new trunk roads that—
(a)where the highway is a highway maintainable at the public expense by a local highway authority, the part in question shall be maintained by that authority; and,
(b)where the highway is not a highway so maintainable and is not maintainable under a special enactment or by reason of tenure, enclosure or prescription, the Secretary of State shall be under no duty to maintain the part in question,
until, in either case, a date to be specified in a notice given by the Secretary of State to the highway authority for that highway. The date specified will not be later than the date on which the relevant route is opened for the purpose of through traffic.
4. In this Order:—
(1) All measurements of distance are measured along the route of the relevant highway;
(2) (i) “the deposited plan” means the plans marked A and B and contained in the plan folio numbered HA 10/2WM 161, marked “The A449 and A456 Trunk Roads (Kidderminster, Blakedown and Hagley Bypass and Slip Roads) Order 1996”, signed by authority of the Secretary of State and deposited at the Department of Transport, Room LG12, Great Minster House, 76 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DR;
(ii)“the new trunk roads” means the highways mentioned in article 1;
(iii)“the A449 trunk road” means the Worcester–Wolverhampton–South of Stafford Trunk Road;
(iv)“the A456 trunk road” means the Kidderminster–Halesowen Principal Road trunked by virtue of the Kidderminster–Halesowen Principal Roads (A456) Trunking Order 1989(3)
(3) A reference to an article or a Schedule followed by a number is a reference to an article in, or Schedule to, this Order, which bears that number.
5. This Order shall come into force on 30th July 1996 and may be cited as the A449 and A456 Trunk Roads (Kidderminster, Blakedown and Hagley Bypass and Slip Roads) Order 1996.
Signed by authority of the Secretary of State
Director, Motorway Operations Division, Highways Agency
17th July 1996
SCHEDULE 1ROUTE OF THE MAIN NEW TRUNK ROAD
The route of the main new trunk road lies between Hartlebury in Hereford and Worcester and Hagley Wood in Hereford and Worcester and is about 16.6 kilometres in length. It starts at a point on the A449 Trunk Road 550 metres south of its junction with Rectory Lane, Hartlebury in the County of Hereford and Worcester and proceeds generally northwards passing west of Torton to a point at Low Hill near to where the A449 Tunk Road meets the A442 Droitwich Road, continuing from this point in a generally north-easterly direction passing east of Summerfield then in a generally northern direction passing west of Stone and east of Kidderminster and then in a generally north-easterly direction passing north-west of Blakedown and Churchill crossing and recrossing the County of Staffordshire boundary to Iverley and then in a generally easterly direction crossing and recrossing the boundary of the Metropolitan District of Dudley passing north of Hagley and south of Stourbridge to a point on the A456 Trunk Road 390 metres west of its junction with Hagley Wood Lane.
SCHEDULE 2ROUTES OF THE SLIP ROADS
The routes of the slip roads are the following:—
Junction with the A449 Trunk Road and Rectory Lane near Hartlebury
(1) Four routes to connect the main new trunk road with the junctions of the Worcester Road (A449) and Rectory Lane (the new trunk roads along these routes being retrospectively given the reference numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 on Plan A).
Junction with the A448 Principal Road near Stone
(2) Four routes to connect the main new trunk road with two roundabouts (as proposed to be constructed) near Stone (the new trunk roads along these routes being given the reference numbers 5, 6, 7 and 8 on Plan A).
Junction with the A456 Trunk Road near Kidderminster
(3) Four routes to connect the main new trunk road with a roundabout (as proposed to be constructed) near Kidderminster (the new trunk roads along these routes being given the reference numbers 9, 10, 11 and 12 on Plan A).
Junction with the A491 Principal Road at Hagley
(4) Four routes to connect the main new trunk road with a roundabout (as proposed to be constructed) at Hagley (the new trunk roads along these routes being given the reference numbers 13, 14, 15 and 16 on Plan B).
1980 c. 66.