1996 No. 3275
The Gas (Extent of Domestic Supply Licences) (Amendment) Order 1996
19th December 1996
Laid before Parliament
9th January 1997
Coming into force
31st January 1997
The Secretary of State, in exercise of the powers conferred on him by section 6(2), (6) and (10) of the Gas Act 1995(1), hereby makes the following Order:—
1. This Order may be cited as the Gas (Extent of Domestic Supply Licences) (Amendment) Order 1996 and shall come into force on 31st January 1997.
2.—(1) The Gas (Extent of Domestic Supply Licences) Order 1996(2) shall be amended as follows.
(2) In paragraph (1) of article 3, the word “and” at the end of sub-paragraph (a) shall be omitted and the following sub-paragraphs shall be substituted for sub-paragraph (b)—
“(b)in so far as it relates to any premises situated in the county of Avon or Dorset, as if for the relevant date there were substituted 10th February 1997; and
(c)in so far as it relates to any premises situated in the county of East Sussex, Kent or West Sussex, as if for the relevant date there were substituted 7th March 1997.”
(3) Paragraph (2) of article 3 shall be omitted.
(4) Sub-paragraph (i) of article 4(b) shall be omitted.
(5) Both in paragraph (1) of article 5 and in article 6, the words “either article 3(2) or” shall be omitted.
(6) In paragraph (3) of article 5, the words “article 3(2) or (as the case may be)” shall be omitted.
Fraser of Carmyllie,
Minister for Energy,
Department of Trade and Industry
19th December 1996
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order amends the Gas (Extent of Domestic Supply Licences) Order 1996, under which competition in the supply of gas through pipes to premises at rates not expected to exceed 2,500 therms a year is to be introduced in stages. Provision was made in article 3 of that Order for an initial stage, during which any duly authorised supplier could supply gas to premises in Devon, Cornwall or Somerset, to begin on 29th April 1996, and a second stage, during which premises in Kent, Dorset, East and West Sussex and the former county of Avon could be supplied, to begin on a date during 1997 to be determined by the Director General of Gas Supply (or on 31 December 1997 if no such determination were made). This Order replaces the original provision for the second stage with provision for the introduction of competition in Dorset and the former county of Avon on 10th February 1997 and in the other counties referred to above on 7th March 1997. It also makes minor consequential amendments.
1995 c. 45.