1996 No. 2115
EDUCATION, ENGLAND AND WALES
The Education (National Curriculum) (Assessment Arrangements for the Core Subjects) (Key Stage 2) (England) (Amendment) Order 1996
8th August 1996
Coming into force
12th August 1996
In exercise of the powers conferred on the Secretary of State by sections 4(2)(c) and (5) and 232(5) and (6) of the Education Reform Act 1988(1), the Secretary of State for Education and Employment hereby makes the following Order:
Citation and commencement
1. This Order may be cited as The Education (National Curriculum) (Assessment Arrangements for the Core Subjects) (Key Stage 2) (England) (Amendment) Order 1996 and shall come into force on 12th August 1996.
Amendment of Order
2.—(1) The Education (National Curriculum) (Assessment Arrangements for the Core Subjects) (Key Stage 2) (England) Order 1995(2) shall be amended as follows.
(2) In article 3(1) (interpretation) for the paragraph beginning ““NC tests” and “NC tasks”” there shall be substituted the following paragraph—
““NC tests” means National Curriculum tests administered to pupils for the purpose of assessing the level of attainment which they have achieved in any core subject and “NC assessment timetable” means a timetable for the administration of NC tests, being respectively tests and a timetable laid down in provisions made by the Secretary of State under article 9 which have been published by Her Majesty’s Stationery Office;”.
(3) At the end of article 4(3) (teacher assessment) there shall be added “or 4th July falling in that term, if earlier”.
(4) For article 5 there shall be substituted the following article—
“NC test assessment
5.—(1) It shall be the duty of the head teacher to make arrangements for each pupil to whom this article applies in respect of any core subject to be assessed in that subject in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (3).
(2) This article applies to a pupil in respect of a core subject if, in the opinion of his head teacher, his level of attainment in that subject, if he were to be assessed by the administration to him of NC tests in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (3), would be level 3 or higher.
(3) Where this article applies to a pupil in respect of a core subject NC tests shall be administered to him in accordance with the provisions of the document in which they are published at the times specified in the relevant NC assessment timetable and as soon as reasonably practicable thereafter the pupil’s responses to the NC tests shall be provided to the external marking agency determined by the Authority and notified by them to the head teacher to be marked.
(4) Following the marking of NC tests the external marking agency shall provide to the head teacher a record of the results consisting of each level of attainment achieved by the pupil.”.
(5) In article 9 the words “and NC tasks” and the words “and tasks”, in each place where they appear, shall be omitted.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State,
Department for Education and Employment
8th August 1996
(This note is not part of the Order)
This Order amends the Education (National Curriculum) (Assessment Arrangements for the Core Subjects) (Key Stage 2) (England) Order 1995 in relation to the 1996–97 school year and succeeding school years. It amends the time by which teacher assessment is to be completed so as to require this by 4th July or two weeks before the end of the summer term if that is earlier, removes provision for the administration to pupils of National Curriculum tasks and specifies that National Curriculum tests in a core subject are to be administered to pupils who are expected by their head teacher to achieve at least level 3 in that subject.
1988 c. 40; section 4 was amended by section 240 of the Education Act 1993 (c. 35).