LOCAL GOVERNMENT [CH.37 – 19
LRO 1/2010 STATUTE LAW OF THE BAHAMAS
LOCAL GOVERNMENT (QUALIFICATION OF
PUBLIC OFFICERS FOR ELECTION TO TOWN
[Commencement 18th July 2005]
1. This Order may be cited as the Local Government
(Qualification of Public Officers for Election to Town
2. No public officer specified in the Schedule shall
be qualified to stand for election as a member of a town
3. The provisions of paragraph 2 shall apply to any
District Council as those provisions apply to a town
1. Permanent Secretary, Under Secretary, Deputy
Permanent Secretary, First Assistant Secretary.
2. Director, Deputy Director, Assistant Director and
any other Head of any Government Ministry or
Department not otherwise specified in this
3. Any person holding a public office prescribed by
the Judicial and Legal Service (prescribed Public
4. Auditor General, Senior Deputy Auditor General,
Assistant Auditor General.
5. Treasurer, Deputy Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer.
6. Chief Passport Officer, Deputy Chief Passport
Officer, Assistant Chief Passport Officer.
7. Chief Hospital Administrator, Hospital
8. Controller of Road Traffic, Senior Deputy
Controller of Road Traffic, Deputy Controller of
Road Traffic, Assistant Controller of Road Traffic.
9. A principal or head teacher of any school which is
wholly maintained by the Minister responsible for
Order to District
CH.37 – 20] LOCAL GOVERNMENT
STATUTE LAW OF THE BAHAMAS LRO 1/2010
10. A Customs Officer appointed under section 3 of the
Customs Management Act.
11. An Immigration Officer appointed under section 7
of the Immigration Act.
12. An officer in the prison service.
13. A local constable.
14. A district medical officer.
15. A district education officer.
16. A staff member of the Administrator’s Office.