Dambadeniya Rajamaha Vihara Development Foundation (Incorporation)
Dambadeniya Rajamaha Vihara Development Foundation (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE DAMBADENIYA RAJAMAHA VIHARA DEVELOPMENT FOUNDATION.
WHEREAS a Foundation called and known as the "Dambadeniya Rajamaha Vihara Development Foundation" has heretofore been established for the purpose of effectually carrying out and transacting all matters connected with the said Foundation, according to the rules agreed to by its members:
AND Whereas the said Foundation has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was established, and has applied to be incorporated, and it will be for the public advantage to grant the application:
BE it therefor enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist republic of sri lanka as follows:-
, 1994 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Dambadeniya Rajamaha Vihara Development Foundation(Incorporation) Act, No. 14 of 1994.
Incorporation of the Dambadeniya Rajamaha Vihara Development Foundation.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as now are members of the "Dambadeniya Rajamaha Vihara Development Foundation"(hereinafter referred to as "the Foundation") and such and so many persons who shall hereafter be admitted as members of the Corporation hereby constituted ,shall be a body corporate (hereinafter referred to as "the Corporation") with perpetual succession, under the name and style of the "Dambadeniya Rajamaha Vihara Development Foundation" and by that name may sue and be sued on all courts with full power and authority to have and use a common seal and alter the same at its pleasure.
General objects of the Corporation.
3. The general objects for which the Corporation is constituted are hereby declared to be-
(a) to assist in the maintenance of the building of the Dambadeniya Rajamaha Vihara and to construct and maintain new building as and when necessary;
(b) to engage in activities for the propagation of Buddhism and for the promotion of the study of Sinhalal, Pali and Sanskrit languages;
(c) to promote Dhammaduta work in Sri lanka and abroad;
(d) to establish a training institution for Samanera Bhikkus, Pirivenas and Dhamma schools and to foster research on the Buddhist doctrine;
(e) to conduct activities for the promotion of religious fervor among Buddhist and the people of the area;
(f) to promote activities for the spiritual, cultural, social and material welfare of its members.
General powers of the Corporation.
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act and any other written law, the Corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things whatsoever as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the Corporation or any one of them, including the power to open, operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise money, with or without security, to receive or collect grants or donations to invest its funds, and to engage, employ and dismiss officers and servants required for the carrying out of the objects of the Corporation.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
(1) The affairs of the Corporation shall , subject to the rules of the Corporation, be administered by an Executive Committee consisting of office-bearers and such number of members as may be provided for in such rules and elected in accordance therewith.
(2) The first Executive Committee of the Corporation shall be the Executive Committee of the Foundation holding office on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act.
Board of Trustees.
(1) The custody of all immovable property of the Corporation shall, subject to the rule of the Corporation, be in a Board of Trustees consisting of such number of members as may be provided in the rules of the Corporation and elected in accordance therewith.
(2) The first Board of Trustees of the Corporation shall be the Board of Trustees of the Foundation holding office on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act.
Rules of the Corporation.
(1) It shall be lawful for the Corporation from time to time at a general meeting of the members and by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the members present and voting, to make rules, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, or any other written law, for the admission, withdrawal or expulsion of members, for the election of office-bearers, the Executive Committee and the Board of Trustees, for the performance of the duties of the officers agents and servants of the Corporation for the procedure to be followed in the transaction of business at the meetings of the Corporation the Executive Committee and the Board of Trustees, and otherwise generally, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the attainment of its objects. Such rules when made may, at a like meeting and in like manner, be altered added to, amended or rescinded.
(2) The members of the Corporation shall be subject to the rules of the Corporation.
Debts due by and payable to the Foundation.
8. All debts and liabilities of the Foundation existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act shall be paid and discharged by the Corporation, and all debts due to, and subscriptions and contributions payable to the Foundation on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for the purposes of this Act.
Corporation may hold property movable and immovable.
9. Subject to the provisions of section 6 and the rules of the Corporation for the time being inforce, the Corporation shall be capable ion law to take and hold any property movable or immovable, which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift, testamentary disposition or otherwise and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act, with full power to sell, mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of the same.
How the seal of the Corporation is to be affixed.
10. The seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever, except in the presence of such number of persons as may be provided for in the rules of the Corporation who shall sign their names to the instrument in taken of their presence and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and others.
11. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or of any body politic or corporate, or of any other persons, except such as are mentioned in this Act, and claiming by, from, or under, them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
12. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.