Sri Lanka Cancer Society (Incorporation)
Sri Lanka Cancer Society (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE SRI LANKA CANCER SOCIETY
WHEREAS an association called and known as the "Sri Lanka Cancer Society" being the successors-in-title to the Friends of the General Hospital Cancer Clinic by which name it was previously known, has heretofore been established in Sri Lanka for the purpose of effectually carrying out its objects and transacting all matters connected with the said Society according to the rules agreed to by its members :
AND WHEREAS the said Society has heretofore along with Branch Societies established in Kandy, Moratuwa, Galle and Batticaloa successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was established, and has applied to be incorporated and it will be for the public advantage to grant the application :
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows :-
, 1997 ]
1.This Act may be cited as the Sri Lanka Cancer Society (Incorporation) Act, No. 10 of 1997.
Incorporation of the Sri Lanka Cancer Society
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as now are members of the Sri Lanka Cancer Society (hereinafter referred to as "the Society") or shall hereafter be admitted as members of the corporation hereby constituted, shall be a body Corporate with perpetual succession under the name and style of "Sri Lanka Cancer Society" (hereinafter referred to as "The Corporation") and by that name may sue and be sued in all courts, with full power and authority to have and use a common seal and change and alter the same at its pleasure.
General objects of the Corporation.
3. The general objects for which the Corporation is constituted General are hereby declared to be -
(a) to improve living conditions and standards of Sri Lankans with a view to eradicating all malignant diseases ;
(b) to assist, advise and provide for victims of malignant diseases ,
(c) to collect, classify, and preserve, all texts, records, data on malignant diseases and to promote research on the subject, with a view to improving treatment for, and preventing and controlling, such diseases ;
(d) to disseminate amongst the people of Sri Lanka, information relating to the prevention, treatment and relief of malignant diseases ;
(e) to establish endow or support, hospitals, nursing homes or other institutions for the treatment and relief of patients suffering from malignant diseases ;
(f) to encourage, and assist or undertake wherever possible, the education and training of doctors, students, nurses and other medical personnel engaged in furtherance of any of the above objects ;
(g) to establish, foster and guide, Branches outside Colombo for carrying out the objects of the Corporation and to review the activities of such Branches ;
(h) to lease with any national or international institution or organization having objects similar to those of the Corporation ;
(i) to hold, organize or participate in, seminars, meetings conferences, local or international that promote the objects of the Corporation.
(j) to do all such other things as are incidental or conducive to, the attainment of the above objects.
General objects of the Corporation.
4. Subject to the Provisions of this Act, and any other written law, the corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the Corporation or any one of them, including the power to open, operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise moneys with or without security to receive and obtain donations, to raise and collect funds, to invest its funds, to purchase land, to erect any building or structure on any land, acquired by the Corporation and to engage, employ officers and servants required for the carrying out of its objects and dismiss such officers and servants where necessary.
Management of the affairs of the corporation
(1) The affairs of the Corporation shall subject to rules in force for the time being of the Corporation be administered by an Executive Committee consisting of the office-bearers and such other persons as may be provided for in such rules and elected in accordance therewith.
(2) The first Executive Committee of the Corporation shall be the members of the Executive Committee of the Society holding office on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act.
Rules of the Corporation
(1) It shall be lawful for the Corporation from time to time at any general meeting of the Members by the votes of not less than two-thirds of the members present and voting thereat to make rules not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, for the admission, withdrawal or expulsion of members, for the election of office-bearers and the Executive Committee, for the conduct of the duties of the office-bearers, the Executive Committee and the various officers, agents and servants of the Corporation, for the establishment of Branches of the Corporation including their closure and winding up, for the procedure to be followed in the transaction of business at meetings of the Corporation and the Executive Committee and otherwise generally, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects.
(2) No rule of the Corporation made under subsection (1) shall be altered, added to, amended or rescinded except by a vote of two-thirds of the members present and voting at general meeting
Provided however, where such alteration, addition, amendment or recession of any rule of the Corporation affects any branch of the Corporation such alteration, addition, amendment or recession shall be done only after consulting the branch so affected.
(3) The members of the Corporation shall be subject to the rules of the Corporation.
(4)The rules of the Society in force on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act shall in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, be deemed to be the rules of the Corporation, made under this section.
Debts due and payable to the Society.
7. All debts and liabilities of the Society existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall be paid and discharged by the Corporation and all debts due to and subscriptions and contributions payable to, the Society (including Branch Societies) on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for the purpose of this Act.
Corporation may hold movable or immovable property.
8 .The Corporation shall be capable in law of taking and holding any property ,movable or immovable ,which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase ,grant ,gift ,testamentary disposition or otherwise and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act and subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation ,with full power to sell, mortgage ,lease ,exchange or otherwise dispose of ,the same
Seal of the Corporations
9. The Executive Committee shall have the custody of the seal of the Corporation which not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever except by the authority of a resolution of the Executive Committee and in the presence of any two office-bearers of the Corporation specially designated by a resolution of the Executive Committee who shall sign their names to the instrument in token of their presence and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Disposal of property upon dissolution of the Corporation
10 .If upon the dissolution of the Corporation there remains after satisfaction of its debts and liabilities any property including moneys, such property and money shall be transferred to any other association or body having similar objects as the Corporation may decide at a Special General Meeting convened for the purpose or to the Public Trustee to be utilised for objects similar to the objects of the Corporation.
Saving of the right of the Republic and other
12. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or of any body politic corporate or of any other person except such as are mentioned in this Act and those claiming by, from, or under them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
13. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.