Bandaranaike Museum Committee (Incorporation)
Bandaranaike Museum Committee (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE BANDARANAIKE MUSEUM COMMITTEE.
WHEREAS a society called and known as the "Bandaranaike Museum Committee" has heretofore been formed at Colombo for the purpose of effectually carrying out and transacting all objects and matters connected with the said Society according to the rules agreed to by its members :
AND WHEREAS the said society has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was formed, and has applied to be incorporated, and it will be for the public advantage to grant the application:
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows :-
, 1997 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Bandaranaike Museum Committee (Incorporation) Act, No. 28 of 1997
Incorporation of the Bandaranaike Museum Committee.
2. From and after the date of the commencement of this Act such and so many persons as now are members of the Bandaranaike Museum Committee (hereinafter referred to as "the Committee") or shall hereafter be admitted members of the Corporation hereby constituted, shall be a body corporate (hereinafter referred to as "the Corporation") with perpetual succession under the name and style of the "Bandaranaike Museum Committee" and by that name may sue and be sued, in all courts, with full power and authority to have and use a common seal and alter the same at its pleasure.
General objects of the Corporation.
3. The general objects for which the Corporation is constituted are hereby declared to be
(a) to maintain the Museum established and dedicated to the work of the late Prime Minister Mr. S. W. R. D. Bandaranaike and to perpetuate his name and ideals;
(b) to collect, classify and display, items relating to the life and work of the said late Prime Minister ;
(c) to print and distribute, publications dealing with the life and work of the said late Prime Minister ;
(d) to organize lectures, seminars and conferences, on the life and work of the said late Prime Minister.
General powers of the Corporation.
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act or any other written law the Corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things, whatsoever as are conducive, necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the Corporation or any one of them including the power to open, operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise moneys with or without security, to receive or collect grants and donations, to invest its funds, and to engage, employ and dismiss officers and servants required for the carrying out of the objects of the Corporation.
The Corporation may hold property movable or immovable.
5. The Corporation shall be capable in law to take and hold any property, movable or immovable, which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift, testamentary disposition or otherwise and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act, and subject to the rules for the time being of the Corporation, with full power to sell, mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of the same.
Executive Council of the Corporation.
(1) The Corporation shall have an Executive Council consisting of"
(a) the President;
(b) the Secretary ;
(c) the Treasurer; and
(d) four other members, appointed by the President.
(2) Mrs, Sirimavo R. D. Bandaranaike shall be a life member of the Executive Council of the Corporation.
(3) Whenever the member holding the life membership in the Executive Council resigns or otherwise vacates her membership the Executive Council shall elect the eldest child of Mrs. Sirimavo R. D. Bandaranaike as a life member of the Executive Council, and so on, and thereafter the eldest grandchild and so on. Where there is no surviving descendent of late Mr. S. W. R. D, Bandaranaike a suitable blood relation of his shall be so elected.
(4) Whenever a vacancy occurs in the office of the President, Secretary or the Treasurer, the Executive Council shall elect a person at a meeting of the Executive Council from out of the members of the Executive Council to fill that vacancy, and whenever a vacancy occurs in the membership of the Executive Council, the Executive Council may elect a person to fill that vacancy.
Debts, due and payable to the Committee .
7. All the debts and liabilities of the Committee existing on the day immediately preceding the date of the commencement of this Act, shall be paid by the Corporation hereby constituted, and alt debts due to, and subscriptions payable to, the said Committee on that day, shall be paid to the Corporation hereby constituted.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
8. The affairs of the Corporation shall, subject to the provisions of this Act and the rules in force, for the time being, of the Corporation be administered by the Executive Council of the Corporation.
Rules of the Corporation.
(1) The Corporation may, from time to time, at any general meeting of the Corporation and by the votes of a majority of the members present and voting, make rules, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, or any other written law, for the admission, withdrawal or expulsion of members, for the election of office bearers, for the performance of the duties of the office bearers, the Executive Council and the various officers, agents and servants of the Corporation, for the procedure to be followed in the transaction of business at meetings of the Corporation and of the Executive Council and otherwise generally, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects. Such rules when made may at a like meeting and in tike manner, be altered, added to, amended or rescinded.
(2) The rules of the Committee in force on the day immediately preceding the date of the commencement of this Act shall in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law be deemed to be the rules of the Corporation made under this section.
(3) The members of the Corporation shall be subject to the rules of the Corporation.
Seal of the Corporation.
10. The seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument, whatsoever, except in the presence of two members of the Executive Council who shall sign their names to the instrument in token of their presence and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Savings of the rights of the Republic and others.
11. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic, or of anybody politic or corporate, or of any other person, except such as are mentioned in this Act and others claiming by, from, or under them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
12. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.