Astrologers' Association Of Sri Lanka (Incorporation)
Astrologers' Association Of Sri Lanka (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE ASTROLOGERS' ASSOCIATION OF SRI LANKA.
WHEREAS an Association called and known as "the Astrologers' Association of Sri Lanka" has heretofore been formed for the purpose of effectively carrying out and transacting all objects and matters concerned with the said Association according to the rules, agreed to by its members:
AND WHEREAS the said Association has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was formed and has applied to be incorporated, and it will be for the public advantage to grant the application :
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows :-
, 1997 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Astrologers' Association of Sri Lanka (Incorporation) Act, No, 34 of 1997.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as now are members of the Astrologers' Association of Sri Lanka (hereinafter referred to as " The Association") or shall hereafter be admitted members of the Corporation hereby constituted, shall be a body corporate (hereinafter referred to as "the Corporation") with perpetual succession under the name and style of "The Astrologers' Association of Sri Lanka", and by that name may sue and be sued in all courts with full power and authority to have and use a common seal and alter the same at its pleasure.
Objects of the Corporation.
3. The objects for which the Corporation constituted are hereby declared to be-
(a) to promote, foster and protect astrology and other branches of learning connected therewith ;
(b) to award honours to eminent astrologers' who have contributed to the advancement of astrology ;
(c) to conduct classes, lectures and seminars on astrology and to award certificates to persons who have successfully completed examinations conducted by it;
(d) to conduct and assist research on astrology ;
(e) to publish books and journals on astrology and to subscribe to publications on astrology ;
(f) to establish libraries to promote the propagation of a knowledge of astrology ; and
(g) to do all such other acts and things as are incidental or conducive to, the attainment of the above objects or any one of them.
General powers of the corporation.
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act and any other written law, the Corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things whatsoever as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of its objects or any one of them, including the power to open, operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise moneys with or without security, to receive or collect grants or donations, to invest its funds and to engage, employ and dismiss officers and servants required for the carrying out of the objects of the Corporation.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
(1) The administration and management of the affairs of the Corporation shall, subject to the rules of the Corporation, be vested in an Executive Committee (hereinafter referred to as the "Committee") consisting of office-bearers and such other persons as may be provided for in such rules and elected in accordance therewith.
(2) In the event of any vacancy arising in the Committee due to resignation, removal or death of any member of the Committee, such vacancy shall be filled according to such rules.
(3)The first Executive Committee of the Corporation shall consist of the members of the Executive Committee of the Association holding office on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act.
Rules of the Corporation.
(1) It shall be lawful for the Corporation, from time to time, at any general meeting and by a majority of not less than two thirds of the members present and voting, to make rules, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, for all or any of the following matters :-
(a) the classification of membership and the admission, withdrawal or expulsion of members ;
(b) the election of office-bearers, the resignation or vacation of, or removal from office of, office-bearers, and their powers, conduct and duties ;
(c) the election of the members of the Committee and their powers, conduct and duties ;
(d) the powers, conduct, duties and functions of various officers, agents and servants of the Corporation ;
(e) The procedure to be observed at, and the summoning and holding of, meetings of the Corporation and of the Committee, the times, places, notices and agenda of such meetings, the quorum therefor and the conduct of business thereat ;
(f) administration and management of the property of the Corporation, the custody of its funds and the maintenance and audit of it's accounts ; and
(g) generally, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects.
(2) The rules of the Association in force on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall, in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, be deemed to be the rules of the Corporation made under this section.
(3) Any rules made under subsection(1) may be amended, altered, added to or rescinded at a like meeting, and in like manner as a rule made under subsection (1).
(4) The members of the Corporation shall be subject to rules of the Corporation.
Debts due by and payable to the Association.
7. All debts and liabilities of the Association existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall be paid by the Corporation hereby constituted, and all debts due to, and subscriptions, contributions and fees payable to, the Association on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for the purpose of this Act.
Corporation may hold property movable and immovable.
8. The Corporation shall be capable in law, to take and hold any property, movable or immovable, which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift, testamentary disposition or otherwise, and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act, and subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, with full power to sell, mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise disposes of the same.
Audit and accounts.
(a) The financial year of the Corporation shall be the calendar year.
(b) The Corporation shall cause proper accounts to be kept of its income and expenditure, assets and liabilities and all other transactions of the Corporation.
(c) The accounts of the Corporation shall be audited by a qualified auditor.
In this section, "qualified auditor" means-
(i)an individual who being a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka, or of any other Institute established by law, possesses a certificate to practise as an Accountant issued by the Council of such Institute ; or
(ii) a firm of Accountants each of the resident partners of which, being a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka or of any other Institute established by law, possesses a certificate to practise as an Accountant issued by the Council of such Institute.
Seal of the Corporation.
10. The seal of the Corporation shall be in the custody of the Secretary and may be altered in such manner as may be determined by the Committee and it shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever except by the authority of a resolution of the Committee and in the presence of the Secretary and either the President or the treasurer who shall sign their names to the instrument in token of their presence, and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Limitation of liability of members.
11. No member of the Corporation shall, for the purpose of discharging the debts and liabilities of the Corporation or for any other purpose, be liable to make any contribution exceeding the amount of such subscription as may be due from him to the Corporation.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and others.
12. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or of any body politic or corporate or of any other persons except such as are mentioned in this Act, and those claiming by, from, or under them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
13. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text, shall prevail.