T. B Ilangaratne Sahurda Sansadaya (Incorporation)
T. B Ilangaratne Sahurda Sansadaya (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE T. B. ILANGARATNE SAHURDA SANSADAYA
WHEREAS a Foundation called and known as the "T. B. Preamble, llangaratne Sahurda Sansadaya" has heretofore been formed in Sri Lanka for the purpose of effectually carrying out and transacting all objects and matters connected with the said Sansadaya at No. 302, High level Road, Colombo 6, according to the rules agreed to by its members :
AND WHEREAS the said Sansadaya has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the objects and matters for which it was formed and has applied to be incorporated and it will be for the public advantage to grant the application:
Be it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows:-
, 1998 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the T. B. Ilangaratne Sahurda Sansadaya (Incorporation) Act, No. 36 of 1998.
Incorporation of the T. B. Ilangaratne Sahurda Sansadaya.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as presently are members of the T. B. Ilangaratne Sahurda Sansadaya (hereinafter referred to as the "Sansadaya") or shall hereafter be admitted as members of the Corporation hereby constituted shall be and become a body corporate (hereinafter referred to as "the Corporation") with perpetual succession under the name and style of T. B. ilangaratne Sahurda Sansadaya", and by that name may sue and be sued in all courts with full power and authority to have, and use, a common seal and alter the same at its pleasure.
General objects of the Corporation
3. The general objects for which the Corporation is constituted are hereby declared to be"
(a) to promote, arrange and organise, meetings and conduct lectures, workshop sand seminars, to educate people on the life and the works of the late T, B. IIangaratne and the invaluable services rendered by him to the people ;
(b) to promote, sponsor or finance, the printing, reprinting, publication and distribution, in print or electronic media, of the manuscripts, books and other writings by She late T, B. Ilangaratne ;
(c) to organize, sponsor and assist, annual Commemorative Ceremonies; as well as other acts of merit to perpetuate the memory of the late T. B. Ilangaratne ;
(d) to award scholarships, and to set up a library, in honour of the late T. B. Ilangaratne ;
(e) to enter into a written contract with the heirs of the estate of the late T. B. Ilangaratne before sponsoring or financing, the printing, reprinting, publication, distribution (in print or electronic media) of any manuscript, book or other writing by the late T. B. Ilangaratne ;
(f) to promote the books and writings by the late T. B, Ilangaratne and to assist in the publication of his unpublished works ; and
(g) to take all other steps as are necessary or desirable for the promotion of the above mentioned objects.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
(1) The affairs of the Corporation shall subject to the rules of the Corporation be administered by a Committee of Management of not less than eleven members including the President, Honorary Secretary, two Vice-Presidents and Treasurer to be elected in accordance with the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation.
(2) The first Committee of Management of the Corporation shall consist of the members of the Committee of Management of the Sansadaya holding office on the day immediately preceding the date of commencement of the Act, and whose names are specified in the Schedule to this Act. Such first Committee of Management shall hold office until holding of the first Annual General Meeting of the Corporation.
Powers of the Corporation,
5. Subject to the provisions of .this Act and any other written law, the Corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things whatsoever, as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the Corporation or any one of them, including the power to open, operate or close bank accounts, to borrow or raise moneys, with or without security, to receive or collect grants and donations to invest its funds and to engage, employ and dismiss officers and servants required for She carrying out the objects of the Corporation.
Rules of the Corporation.
(1) It shall be lawful for the Corporation from time to time, at any general meeting and by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the members present and voting, to make rules, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or other written law, for all or any of the following matters :-
(a) the classification of membership and the admission, withdrawal or expulsion of members ;
(b) the election of the office-bearers, the resignation from, or vacation of or removal from, office of, office-bearers and their powers, conduct and duties;
(c) the election of the members of the Board of Management and its powers, conduct and duties and the terms of office of members of the Board of Management;
(d) the powers, conduct, duties and functions of the various officers, agents and servants of the Corporation ;
(e) the procedure to be observed for the summoning and holding of, meetings of the Board of Management, the times, places, notices and agenda of such meetings, the quorum therefor and the conduct of business thereat;
(f) the administration and management of the property of the Corporation, the custody of its funds, and the maintenance and audit of its accounts; and
(g) generally, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects
(2) Any rule made by the Corporation may be amended, altered, added to or rescinded in like manner as a rule may be made under subsection (1).
(3) The rules of the Sansadaya in force on the day immediately preceding the date, of commencement of this Act shall, in so far is they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, or any other written law, be deemed to be rules of the corporation made under this section.
(4) The members of he Corporation shall be subject to the rules of the Corporation.
Debts due by and payable to the Sansadaya.
7. All debts and liabilities of the Sansadaya existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall be paid and discharged by the Corporation hereby constituted and all debts due to and subscriptions and contributions payable to the Sansadaya on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for the purposes of this Act.
Corporation may hold property movable and immovable.
8. The Corporation shall be able and capable in Law to acquire and hold any property movable or immovable, which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift or testamentary disposition or otherwise, and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act and subject to the rules for the time being of the Corporation, with full power to sell, mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of, encumber or charge the same.
Seal of the Corporation.
9. The seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever except under the authority of the Committee of Management and in the presence of a member of the Committee of Management and Secretary who shall sign their names to the instrument in token of their presence, and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and others.
10. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or any body politic or corporate or of any other persons, except such as are mentioned in this Act, arid those claimed by, from, or under, them.
Sinhala text to Prevail in case of inconsistency.
11. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail,