Sri Lanka Institute Of Interior Designers (Incorporation)
Sri Lanka Institute Of Interior Designers (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE SRI LANKA INSTITUTE OF INTERIOR DESIGNERS
WHEREAS an Association called and known as "The Sri Lanka Association of interior Designers" has heretofore been formed in Sri Lanka for the purpose of effectively carrying out and transacting all objects and matters connected with the said association according to the rules agreed to by its members:
AND whereas the said Association has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was formed, and has applied to be incorporated, and it will be for the public advantage to grant the application :
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows :-
, 1998 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Sri Lanka Institute of Interior Designers (Incorporation) Act, No. 2 of 1998.
Incorporation of the Sri Lanka Institute of Interior Designers.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as now are members of "The Sri Lanka Association of Interior Designers" (hereinafter referred to as "The Association") or shall hereafter be admitted as members of the Corporation hereby constituted, shall be a body corporate, (hereinafter referred to as "The Corporation") with perpetual succession under the style and name of "The Sri Lanka Institute of Interior Designers" and by that name may sue and be sued in ail courts with full power and authority to have and to use a common seal and alter the same at its pleasure.
General objects of the Corporation
3. The general objects for which the corporation is constituted are hereby declared to be"
(a) to promote professional recognition for Interior Designers in Sri Lanka and to maintain a code of ethics for its members;
(b) to provide and maintain an organization with multidisciplinary facilities for all persons engaged in Interior Design, Decoration and affiliated fields;
(c) to promote high standards of design in alt areas related to Interior Design and Decoration;
(d) to improve and widen the knowledge of Interior Design and related subjects by, organizing seminars, workshops, demonstrations, exhibitions, study trips in Sri Lanka and abroad;
(e) to make Annual Design Awards in recognition of outstanding achievements in all areas of design;
(f) to publish a directory of Designers, a catalogue of the Interior Furnishing industry and an Interior Design Magazine for the benefit of those who require such information; and
(g) to foster corporation with similar professional institutes and associations in Sri Lanka and other countries in furthering the objects of the corporation.
General powers of the Corporation.
4. The Corporation shall subject to the provisions of this Act, or other written law have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things whatsoever, as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the Corporation or anyone of them including the power to open, operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise money with or without security, to seek and obtain grants and other assistance from the State or any other bodies or organizations, to invest its funds, and to engage, employ and dismiss officers and servants required for the carrying out of the objects of the Corporation.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
(1) The affairs of the corporation shall, subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, be administered by a Council consisting of the office-bearers and such other persons as may be provided for in such rules and elected or nominated in accordance therewith.
(2) The first Council of the corporation shall be the Council of the Association holding office on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act.
Membership of the Corporation.
(1) The members of the Corporation shall consist of Follows and Associates.
(2) The Council may, however, admit as members, of such classes and with such privileges and obligations as it may prescribe, persons not eligible as Fellows and Associates to the Corporate Membership.
Rules of the Corporation.
(1) It shall be lawful for the Corporation, from time to time, at any general meeting and by the majority of two-thirds of the members present and qualified to vote, to make rules, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, or any other written law for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects.
(2) The rules of the Association in force on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or other written law be deemed to be rules of the Corporation made under this section and may be altered, added to, amended, rescinded or replaced by rules made under this Act.
(3) The members of the Corporation shall at all times be subject to the rules of the Corporation.
Power of Corporation to hold and deal with property.
8. Subject to the provisions of this Act and the rules in force for the time being the Corporation shall be able and capable in law"
(a) of acquiring by purchase, exchange, gift, devise or bequest or in any other manner, and of holding and enjoying in perpetuity or for any lesser term subject to any express trust or otherwise, any property movable or immovable of any nature or kind whatsoever;
(b) of erecting any building on any immovable property vested in or acquired or held by the Corporation; and
(c) of selling, granting, conveying, assigning or otherwise disposing of any such property,
Power to charge fees and subscriptions
9. The Corporation shad be able and capable in law to charge"
(a) such fees, as the Corporation may deem reasonable for admission to any examination conducted by the Corporation;
(b) fees for the election of persons to any class of membership of the Corporation; and
(c) such subscriptions and fees from members of the Corporation as the Corporation may deem reasonable in respect of services provided by the Corporation.
10. The Corporation shall have the power to appoint a disciplinary committee and other Committees on specific subjects and to take such other steps as may be found necessary from time to time for the control of professional standards and to study specialized matters relating to the profession and for the maintenance of discipline among its members.
Audit and accounts.
(a) The financial year of the Corporation shall be the calendar year,
(b) The Corporation shall cause proper accounts to be kept of its income and expenditure, assets and liabilities and all other transactions of the Corporation.
(c) The accounts of the Corporation shall be audited by a qualified auditor. In this section, "qualified auditor" means"
(i) an individual who being a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka, or of any other Institute established by law, possesses a certificate to practice as an Accountant issued by the Council of such Institute; or
(ii) a firm of Accountants each of the resident partners of which, being a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka or of any other Institute established by law, possesses a certificate to practice as an Accountant issued by the Council of such Institute.
Debts due by and payable to the Association.
12. All debts and liabilities of the Association existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall be paid by the Corporation hereby constituted, and all debts due to and subscriptions, contributions and fees payable to the Association on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for the purposes of this Act.
How the seal of the Corporation is to be affixed.
13. The seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever except in the presence of such number of persons as may be provided for in the rules in force for the time being, of the Corporation who shall sign their names to the instrument in token of their presence, and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and others-
14. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or of any body politic or corporate, or of any other persons, except such as are mentioned in this Act and those claiming by, from or under them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
15. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and the Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.