Pilisarana Institute (Incorporation)
Pilisarana Institute (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE PILISARANA INSTITUTE
WHEREAS an Institute called and Known as the "Pilisarana Institute" has heretofore been constituted in Colombo for the purpose of effectually carrying out its objects and transacting all matters connected with the said institute according to the rules agreed to by its members:
AND WHEREAS the said Institute has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was constituted and has applied to be incorporated and it will be for the public advantage to grant the application :
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows :-
, 1998 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Pilisarana Institute (Incorporation ) Act, No, 1 of 1998
Incorporation of the Pilisarana Institute.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as now are members of the "Pilisarana Institute" (hereinafter referred to as the "Institute") and such and so many persons who shall hereafter be admitted members of the Corporation hereby constituted shall be a body corporate (hereinafter referred to as the "Corporation") with perpetual succession under the name and style of "Pilisarana Institute" and by that name may sue and be sued; in all courts, with full power and authority to have and use a common seal and alter the same at its pleasure.
General Objects of the Corporation.
3. The general objects for which the Corporation is constituted are hereby declared to be"
(a) to promote and encourage inter-communal and religious harmony, and understanding, and goodwill and peace, amongst people ;
(b) to establish and maintain orphanages, homes for the aged arid institutes for the handicapped ;
(c) to provide health care facilities ;
(d) to preserve and propagate plant life through projects and so protect the natural habitat and assist and advise on the setting up of new similar projects ;
(e) to save the young and the old from the drug menace and advise and rehabilitate persons addicted to drugs ;
(f) to promote knowledge by awarding scholarships ;
(g) so organize conferences, workshops, lectures, exhibitions and tours for the purpose of promoting knowledge ;
(h) to provide free vocational training for youth ;
(i) to provide legal aid to the needy;
(j) to provide medical aid food, clothing and shelter to those affected by natural disasters ;
(k) to establish and maintain a media unit;
(l) to establish and maintain a library service ;
(m) to work in collaboration with other organizations having objects similar to those of the Corporation.
General Powers of the Corporation
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act and any other. written law, the Corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of objects of the Corporation, or any one of them, including the power to open, operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or to raise moneys with or without security, to receive or collect grants and donations, to invest its funds and to engage, employ and dismiss officers and servants required for the carrying out of the objects of the Corporation.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
(1) The affairs of the Corporation shall subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation be administered by an Executive Committee consisting such number of members as may be provided for in such rules and appointed, elected or nominated, as the case may be, in accordance with such rules.
(2) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in subsection (1) of this section, Reverend Panane Vinayawansa Thero shall be the first Director-General of the Corporation.
(3) The first Executive Committee of the Corporation shall consist of the members of the Executive Committee of the Institute holding office on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act and whose names are specified in the Schedule to this Act.
Rules of the Corporation,
(1)It shall be lawful for the Corporation from time to time, at any general meeting of the members and by a majority of not less than two- thirds of the members present and voting, thereat to make rules not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, for the admission, withdrawal, resignation, retirement or expulsion of members, for the election of the executive committee and for the conduct of the duties of the executive Committee and of the various ' officers, servants and agents of the Corporation, for the procedure to be followed in the transaction of business, at meetings of the executive Committee and corporation and otherwise generally, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the attainment of its objects. Such rules when made, may, at a like meeting and in like manner be altered, added to, amended or rescinded.
(2) The rules of the Institute in force on the day immediately preceding the date of commencement of this Act shall be deemed to be the rules of the Corporation made under this section, in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law.
(3) The members of the Corporation shall be subject to the rules of the Corporation.
Debts due by and payable to the Institute.
7. All debts and liabilities of the Institute existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall be paid and discharged by the Corporation hereby constituted and all debts due to and subscriptions and contributions payable to, the Institute on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for the purposes of this Act.
Corporation may hold property movable or immovable.
8. The Corporation shall be able and capable in law to acquire and hold any properly movable or immovable which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift, testamentary disposition or otherwise and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purpose of this Act, and subject to the rules in force for time being of the Corporation with full power to sell, mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of the same.
Seal of the Corporation.
9. The seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever except in the presence of two members of the Executive Committee who shall sign their names to the instrument in token of their presence, and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and Others.
10. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or of any body politic or corporate or of any other person, except such as are mentioned in this Act, and those claiming by, from or under them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
11. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.