Jathika Urumaya Organisation (Incorporation)
Jathika Urumaya Organisation (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE JATHIKA URUMAYA ORGANISATION
WHEREAS an Organisation called and known as the "Jathika Urumaya Organisation" has heretofore been formed in Sri Lanka for the purpose of effectually carrying out and transacting all objects and matters connected with the said Organisation according to the rules agreed to by its members :
AND WHEREAS the said Organisation has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was formed and has applied to be incorporated and it will be for the public advantage to grant such application.
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows:-
, 1998 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Jathika Urumaya Organisation (Incorporation) Act, No. 44 of 1998.
Incorporation of the Jathika Urumaya Organisation,
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as now are members of the Jathika Urumaya Organisation (hereinafter referred to as "the Organisation") or shall hereafter be admitted members of the Corporation hereby constituted shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession under the name and style of the "Jathika Urumaya Organisation" (hereinafter referred to as "the Corporation") and by that name may sue and be sued in all courts with full power and authority to have and use a common seal and alter the same at its pleasure.
General Objects of the Corporation.
3. The general objects for which the Corporation is constituted are hereby declared to be
(a) to protect the territorial integrity, sovereignty and unity of Sri Lanka ;
(b) to promote, foster and maintain unity among the different communities living in Sri Lanka ;
(c) to assist in the promotion of racial, religious and communal harmony, and the eradication of social disabilities ;
(d) to assist persons affected by terrorist activities;
(e) to secure, safeguard and promote the rights of Buddhists and promote harmony and co-existence with people of other religious beliefs ;
(f) to initiate appropriate measures to protect the identify of the Nation ;
(g) to protect the national, cultural, social and environmental heritage.
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act and other written law, the Corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things whatsoever as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the Corporation or any one of them, including the power to open, operate, and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise money, with or without security, to receive or collect grants and donations, to invest its funds and to engage, employ and dismiss, officers and servants required for the purpose of carrying out of the objects of the Corporation.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
(1) The affairs of the Corporation shall subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, be administered by a Board of Management consisting of the President, the Vice Presidents, the Secretary, the Assistant Secretary and the Treasurer and not less than six other members to be elected in accordance with the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation.
(2) The first Board of Management of the Corporation shall be the Board of Management of the Organisation holding office on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act.
Rules of the Corporation,
(1) It shall be lawful for the Corporation from time to time, at any general meeting and by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the members present and voting, to make rules not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law for all or any of the following matters :"
(a) the classification of membership and the admission, withdrawal, or expulsion of members ;
(b) the election of the office-bearers and their powers duties and functions ;
(c) the election of the members of the Board of Management and their powers, duties and functions ;
(d) the appointment of the officers, agents and servants of the Corporation and their powers, duties and functions ;
(e) the procedure to be observed at, and the summoning and holding of, meetings of the Board of Management, the notices and agenda of such meetings, the quorum therefor and the conduct of business thereat;
(f) the qualifications for membership of the Corporation;
(g) the administration and management of the property of the Corporation ; and
(h) generally, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects.
(2) The rules of the Organisation in force on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or other written law, be deemed to be the rules of the Corporation and may be amended, altered, added to or rescinded at a like meeting and in like manner as a rule made under subsection (1) of this section.
(3) The members of the Corporation shall be subject to rules of the Corporation.
Fund of the Corporation.
7. The Fund of the Corporation shall consist of"
(a) all moneys lying to the credit of the Organisation on the day immediately preceding the date of commencement of this Act which shall stand transferred to the Corporation from this date ; and
(b) all moneys that may accrue to the Corporation after the date of commencement of this Act.
(2) There shall be paid out of the fund all sums of money required to defray any expenditure incurred by the Corporation in the exercise, performance and discharge of its powers, duties and functions under this Act.
Debts due by and payable to the Organisation.
8. All debts and liabilities of the Organisation existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act shall be paid by the Corporation here by constituted and all debts due to, and subscriptions and contributions payable to, the Organisation on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for purposes of this Act.
How the seal of the Corporation is to be affixed.
9. The seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever except in the presence of the President and the Secretary who shall sign their names on the instrument in token of their presence, and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Corporation may hold and dispose of property movable and immovable.
10. The Corporation shall, subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, be capable in law to take and hold any property, movable or immovable, which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift testamentary disposition or otherwise and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act and subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, with full power to mortgage, sell, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of the same.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and others.
11. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or of any body politic or corporate or of any other persons, except such as are mentioned in this Act and those claiming by, from, or under, them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
12. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.