Batticaloa Young Men's Hindu Association (Incorporation)
Batticaloa Young Men's Hindu Association (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE BATTICALOA YOUNG MEN'S HINDU ASSOCIATION
WHEREAS an Association, called and known as the preamble. "Batticaloa Young Men's Hindu Association" has heretofore been formed at Batticaloa for the purpose of effectually carrying out and transacting all objects and matters connected with the said Association according to the rules agreed to by its members :
AND WHEREAS the said Association has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was formed, and has applied to be incorporated, and it will be for the public advantage to grant such application :
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows:-
, 1998 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Batticaloa Young Men's Hindu Association (Incorporation) Act, No. 41 of 1998.
incorporation of the Batticaloa young mens Hindu Association.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as now are members of the Batticaloa Young Men's Hindu Association (hereinafter referred to as the "Association") or shall hereafter be admitted members of the Corporation hereby constituted, shall be a body corporate (hereinafter referred to the "Corporation"), with perpetual succession under the name and style of the Batticaloa Young Men's Hindu Association, and by that name may sue and be sued in all courts with full power and authority to have and use a common seal and alter the same at its pleasure.
General objects of the Corporation.
3. The general objects for which the Corporation is constituted are hereby declared to be-
(a) to promote the spiritual, intellectual, social and physical welfare of the youths of Batticaloa;
(b) to promote among them the study of science and literature;
(c) to establish and maintain libraries, reading rooms, gymnasia and other places of common interest;
(d) to engage in social service activities and to assist in the implementation of relief, rehabilitation, and housing activities undertaken by the state ;
(e) to do all such other things as are necessary for or conducive or incidental to, the attainment of all or any of the objects of the corporation.
General powers of the corporation.
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act and any other written law, the Corporation shall have the power to do ,perform and executive all such acts, matters and things as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the Corporation or any one of them ,including the power to open ,operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise money, with or without security, to receive or collect grants and donations, to invest its funds ,and to engage, employ and dismiss officers and servants required for the carrying out of the objects of the corporation.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
5. The affairs of the corporation shall, subject to the other provisions of this act and the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation , be administered by a board of Trustees consisting of the office-bearers and not less than twelve other members elected in accordance with such rules.
Rules of the corporation.
(1) It shall be lawful for the corporation, from time to time, at any general meeting and by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the members present and voting, in respect of all or any of the following matters
(a) the classification of membership and the admission, withdrawal or expulsion of members ;
(b) the election of the office-bearers, the resignation from, or vacation of, or removal from, office of, office-bearers, and their powers, conduct and duties ;
(c) the election of the members of the Board of Trustees and its powers, conduct and duties ;
(d) the powers, conduct, duties and functions of the various officers, agents and servants of the Corporation ;
(e) the procedure to be observed at, and the summoning, and holding of meetings of the Board of Trustees and the Corporation, the times, places, notices and agenda of such meetings, the quorum therefor and the conduct of business thereat;
(f) the administration and management of the property of the Corporation, the custody of its funds, and the maintenance and audit of its accounts ; and
(g) generally, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects.
(2) Any rule made by the Corporation may be amended, altered, added to or rescinded at a like meeting and in like manner as a rule made under subsection (1).
(3) The members of the Corporation shall be subject to the rules in force for the time being of the corporation.
Corporation may hold property movable or immovable.
7 . The Corporation shall be able and capable in law, to acquire and hold any property, movable or immovable, which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift, testamentary disposition or otherwise, and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act and subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, and it shall have full power to sell, mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of the same.
Debts due by and payable to the Association
8. All debts and liabilities of the Association existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall be paid by the Corporation hereby constituted and debts due to, subscriptions and contributions payable to the Association on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for the purposes of this Act.
Seal of the Corporation.
9. The seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever except in the presence of two members of the Board of Trustees, who shall sign their names to the instrument in token of their presence and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and others.
10. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or of any body politic or corporate, or of any other persons, except such as are mentioned in this Act and those claiming by, from, or under, them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
11. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.