Navodaya Foundation (Incorporation)
Navodaya Foundation (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE NAVODAYA FOUNDATION
WHEREAS a Society called and known as the "Navodaya Foundation" has heretofore been formed in Sri Lanka for the purpose of effectually carrying out and transacting all objects and matters connected with the said Foundation according to the rules agreed to by its members :
AND WHEREAS the said Foundation has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was formed and has applied to be incorporated and it will be for the public advantage to grant the application :
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows :-
, 1999 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Navodaya Foundation (Incorporation) Act, No. 16 of 1999.
Incorporation of the Navodaya Foundation.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as presently are members of the Navodaya Foundation (hereinafter referred to as the "Foundation") or shall hereafter be admitted members of the Corporation hereby constituted shall be a body corporate (hereinafter referred to as the "Corporation") with perpetual succession under the name and style of the "Navodaya Foundation", and by that name may sue, and be sued in all courts with full power and authority to have, and use a common seal and to alter the same at its pleasure.
General objects of the Corporation.
3. The general objects for which the Corporation is constituted are hereby declared to be
(a) to foster and promote the social, educational and cultural development of under privileged children :
(b) to assist and promote activities relating to child education, preschools, child care centers and children's homes ;
(c) to promote sports activities and to organize sports camps with a view to improving the mental and physical health of the people ;
(d) to create employment and self-employment opportunities and to plan and implement projects to enhance the earnings of low income groups ;
(e) to conserve the environment;
(f) to organize programmes to assist youth to develop self reliance and leadership qualities ;
(g) to conduct courses of study for youth ;
(h) to hold exhibitions and to organise lectures, seminars, workshops, conferences and tours with a view to promoting cultural values ;
(i) to organize programmes to provide maternity and child welfare services and to provide anti-natal and post-natal care, nutrition and medical facilities ;
(j) to organize and hold health centres, mobile clinics and health education programmes ;
(k) to organize Sramadana and Saukyadana compaigns ;
(l) to collaborate with any other institution or organization in Sri Lanka or abroad having objects similar to those of the Corporation and to exchange views and programmes with them ;
(m) to establish and maintain libraries, to subscribe for and issue books, journals, souvenirs and periodicals ; and
(n) to take all other steps as are necessary or desirable for the promotion of the above mentioned objects.
powers of the Corporation.
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act and any other written law, the Corporation shall have the power to do. perform and execute all such acts, matters and things whatsoever, as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the Corporation or any one of them, including the power to open, operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise money, with or without security, to receive or collect grants and donations, to invest its funds and to engage, employ and dismiss officers and servants required for the carrying out of the objects of the Corporation.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
(1) The affairs of the Corporation shall, subject to the rules of the Corporation, be administered by an Executive Committee consisting of the office-bearers and such number of members us may be provided for in such rules and elected in accordance therewith.
(2) The first Executive Committee of the Corporation shall be the Executive Committee of the Foundation holding office on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act.
Rules of the Corporation.
(1) It shall be lawful for the corporation, from time to time at any general meeting of the Corporation and by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the members present and voting to make rules, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, for the following matters -
(a) the admission, classification, or expulsion of members ;
(b) for the election of office bearers, the Executive Committee and the conduct of the duties of the various officers, agents and servants of the Corporation ;
(c) for the procedure to be followed in the transaction of business at meetings of the Corporation and the Executive committee ;
(d) the administration and management of the property of the corporation, the custody of its funds, and the maintenance and audit of its accounts ; and
(e) generally, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects.
(2) Any rule made by the corporation may be amended, altered, added to rescinded in like manner as a rule may be made under subsection (1).
(3) The rules of the Foundation in force on the day immediately preceding the date of commencement of the Act shall, in so far is they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act, or any other written law, be deemed to be rules of the Corporation made under this section.
Debts due by and payable to the Foundation.
7. All debts and liabilities of the Foundation existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act shall be paid and discharged by the Corporation, and all debts due to, and subscriptions and contributions payable to the Foundation on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for the purposes of this Act.
Corporation, may hold property movable and immovable.
8. The Corporation shall be able and capable in law to acquire and hold any property, movable or immovable which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift testamentary disposition or otherwise, and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act with full power to sell, mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of, the encumber or charge the same.
Seal of the Corporation.
9.The seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever, except in the presence of such number of office bearers as may be provided for in the rules of the Corporation who shall sign their names to the instrument in token of their presence, and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and others.
10. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or of any body politic or corporate or any other persons except such as are mentioned in this Act, and those claiming by from, or under, them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
11. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act. the Sinhala text shall prevail.