Kegalle Tharuna Bauddha Sangamaya (Incorporation)
Kegalle Tharuna Bauddha Sangamaya (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE KEGALLE THARUNA BAUDDHA SANGAMAYA.
WHEREAS an association called and known as the "Kegalle Tharuna Bauddha Sangamaya"' has heretofore been formed at Kegalle, for the purpose of effectually carrying out and transacting all objects and matters connected with the said Association according to the rules agreed to by its members;
AND WHEREAS the said association has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was formed, and has applied to be incorporated and it will be for the public advantage to grant such application :
BE it therefore, enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows :-
, 1999 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Kegalle Tharuna Bauddha Sangamaya (Incorporation) Act, No. 7 of 1999.
Incorporation of the Kegalle Tharuna Bauddha Sangamaya.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as now are members of the Kegalle Tharuna Bauddha Sangamaya (hereinafter referred to as the "Association") or shall hereafter be admitted members of the corporation hereby constituted, shall be a body corporate (hereinafter referred to as the "Corporation") with perpetual succession, under the name and style of the "Kegalle Tharuna Bauddha Sangamaya" and by that name may sue and be sued in all courts with full power and authority to have and use a common seal and to alter the same at its pleasure.
General objects of the Corporation.
3. The general objects for which the Corporation is constituted are hereby declared to be -
(a) to promote knowledge of Buddhist doctrine and to disseminate the knowledge of Buddhism ;
(b) to encourage the active observance of Buddhism;
(c) to promote the co-operation and peace among Buddhists ,
(d) to promote the cultural, social and economic development of the Buddhists ;
(e) to take action to foster the rights of the Buddhists.
General powers of the Corporation.
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act and any other written law, the Corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things whatsoever as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the Corporation or any one of them, including the power to open, maintain, operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise moneys, with or without security, to receive or collect grants and donations, to invest its funds, and to engage, employ and dismiss, officers and servants required for the carrying out of the objects of the Corporation.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
(1) The affairs of the Corporation shall, subject to rules in force for the time being of the corporation, be administered by a Board of Management consisting of the office, bearers and such other persons as may be provided for in such rules and elected in accordance therewith.
(2) The first Board of Management of the Corporation shall be the Board of Management of the Association holding office on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, and the members of the first Board of Management, shall be the persons whose names are set out in the Schedule to this Act.
Rules of the Corporation.
(1) It shall be lawful for the Corporation from time to time, at any general meeting of the Corporation by a majority of not less than two-thirds of the members present and voting, to make rules, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or other written law, in respect of all or any of the following matters :-
(a) the classification of membership and the admission withdrawal or expulsion of members:
(b) the election of the office-bearers, the resignation from, or vacation of, or removal from, office of, office-bearers, and their powers, conduct and duties ;
(c) the election of the members of the Board of Management and its powers, conduct and duties ;
(d) the powers, conduct, duties and functions of the various officers, agents and servants of the Corporation ;
(e) the procedure to be observed at, and the summoning, and holding of, meetings of the Board of Management, the times, places, notices and agenda of such meetings, the quorum therefor and the conduct of business thereat ;
(f) the administration and management of the property of the Corporation, the custody of its funds, and the maintenance and audit of its accounts ; and
(g) generally, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects.
(2) Any rule made by the Corporation may be amended, altered, added to or resinded at a like meeting and in like manner as a rule made under subsection (1)
(3) The members of the Corporation shall be subject to the rules of the Corporation.
Debts due by and payable to the Association.
7. All debts and liabilities of the Association existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall be paid by the Corporation hereby constituted and all debts due to, and subscriptions and contributions payable to, the Association, on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for the purposes of this Act.
Corporation may hold property movable and immovable.
8. The Corporation shall be capable in law to acquire and hold any property, movable or immovable, which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift, testamentary disposition or otherwise, and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act and shall subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, with full power to sell, mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of the same.
Seal of the Corporation.
9.The seal of the Corporation shall be in the custody of the honorary general secretary and it shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever expect in the presence of the honorary general secretary and either the president or the honorary treasure of the Corporation who shall sign their names to the instruments in token of their presence and such singing shall be independence of the singing of any person as a witness.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and others.
10. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic, or of any body politic or corporate, or of any other persons, except such as are mentioned in this Act and others claiming by, from, or under, them.
Sinhala text to Prevail in case of inconsistency.
11. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.