Calvary Church of Sri Lanka (Incorporation)
Calvary Church of Sri Lanka (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE CALVARY CHURCH OF SRI LANKA
WHEREAS a society called and known as "'The Calvary Church of Sri Lanka" has. heretofore been formed by representatives of such churches in Sri Lanka for the purpose of promoting co-operative fellowship among Churches of like faith in Sri Lanka and abroad and transacting all matters connected with the said society according to the rules agreed to by the said society:
AND WHEREAS the said Society has heretofore successfully-carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was formed and has applied to be incorporated, and it will be for the public advantage to grant the application:
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows:"
, 1999 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Calvary Church of Sri Lanka (Incorporation) Act, No. 2 of 1999
Incorporation of the Calvary Church of Sri Lanka.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as now are members of the Calvary Church of Sri Lanka, (hereinafter referred to as "the Society") or shall hereafter be admitted members of the Corporation hereby constituted, shall be and become a corporation with perpetual succession under the style and name of " The Calvary Church of Sri Lanka" (hereinafter referred to as "the Corporation") and by that name may sue and be sued in all Courts, with full power and authority to have and to use a common seal and to change and alter the same at its pleasure.
General objects of the Corporation.
3. The general objects of the Corporation are hereby declared to be-
(a) to provide a basis of working fellowship among all Churches of like faith which have accepted the Statement of Faith of the Society;
(b) to establish and maintain seminaries and such other institutions as may be considered necessary for the furtherance of the objects of Corporation; and
(c) to do all such other things as are incidental or conducive to the accomplishment of the aforesaid objects.
General powers of the Corporation.
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act or any other written law, the Corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things whatsoever as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the Corporation or any one of them including the power to open, operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise moneys with or without security, to receive or collect grants and donations, to invest its funds and to engage, employ and dismiss officers and servants required for the carrying out of the objects of the Corporation.
Rules of the Corporation.
(1) It shall be lawful for the Corporation from time to time, at any general meeting of the Corporation and by a majority of not less than two thirds of the members of the Corporation present and entitled to vote, to make rules not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects.
(2) The rules of the society in force on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act, shall in, so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, be deemed to be rules made by the Corporation under this Act.
(3) Any rules made by the Corporation, may at a like meeting and in like manner be altered, added to, amended or rescinded.
(4) All members of the Corporation shall be subject to the rules of the Corporation for the time being in force.
corporation may hold property movable and immovable.
6. The Corporation shall be able and capable in law to take and hold any property, movable or immovable, which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase, grant, gift, testamentary disposition or otherwise, and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act and subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, with full power to sell, mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of the same.
How the seal of the Corporation is to be affixed.
7. The seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever, except in the presence of two members authorized for that purpose by the corporation, who shall sign their name to the independent of the singing of any person as a witness.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and others.
8. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic, or of any body politic or corporate, or of any other persons, except such as are mentioned in this Act and others claiming by, from, or under, them.
Sinhala text to Prevail in the event of inconsistency.
9. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.