International Volunteer Friendship Association (Incorporation)
International Volunteer Friendship Association (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE INTERNATIONAL VOLUNTEER FRIENDSHIP ASSOCIATION
WHEREAS an Association called and known as the "International Volunteer Friendship Association" has heretofore been established for the purpose of organizing national and international volunteers and effectually carrying out and transacting all objects and matters connected with the said Association according to the rules agreed to by its members :
AND WHEREAS the said Association has heretofore successfully carried out and transacted the several objects and matters for which it was established and has applied to be incorporated and it is now desirable and expedient that the said Association should be incorporated and it will be for the public advantage To grant such application :
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows :-
, 2000 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the International Volunteer Friendship Association (Incorporation) Act. No. 5 of 2000
Incorporation of the international Volunteer friendship Association.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act. such and so many persons as now are the members of the International Volunteer Friendship Association (hereinafter referred to as the "Association") or shall hereafter be admitted members of the Corporation hereby constituted, shall be a body corporate (hereinafter referred \o as the "Corporation") with perpetual succession, under the name and style of the "International Volunteer Friendship Association" and by that name may sue and be sued in ail courts with full power and authority to have and use a common seal and to alter the same at its pleasure.
General Objects of the Corporation.
3. The General objects for which the Corporation is established are hereby declared to be-
(a) to foster among volunteers a sprit of service ;-
(b) to encourage empathy and understanding through friendly contacts with volunteers of other nations:
(c) to foster and maintain unity among volunteers at various levels ;
(d) to initiate and implement measures to protect the identity of volunteerism : and
(e) to assist those affected by social, economic environmental problems.
General Powers of the Corporation.
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act and any other written law. the Corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute ail such acts, matters and things whatsoever as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the corporation or any one of them including the power to open, operate and close bank accounts, to borrow or raise moneys with or without security to receive or collect grants and donations from persons in or outside Sri Lanka, to invest its funds and to engage, employ and dismiss officers and servants for the purpose of carrying out of the objects of the Corporation.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
(1) The affairs of the Corporation shall, subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, be administered by a Board of Management consisting of the President, the Honorary Secretary, Honorary Treasurer and not less than two other members nominated by the President in accordance with the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation.
(2) The first Board of the Corporation shall be the members of the Board of Management of the Association holding office on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act.
Rules of the Corporation.
(1) It shall be lawful for the Corporation, from time to time, at any meeting of the Board of Management and by a majority of not less than two-third of the members present and voting, to make rules, not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, for all or any of the following matters :-
(a) classification of membership, fees payable by such class of members and their admission, withdrawal or expulsion or resignation;
(b) the election of members of the Board of Management and the office-bearers, resignation or removal from, or vacation of, office of, members of the Board, Management powers, duties and conduct of the members of the Board of Management, the appointment, powers, duties, functions and conduct of the various officers, agents and servants of the Corporation ;
(c) the procedure to be observed at, and the summoning and holding of meetings of. the Board the Management and the Corporation, filling vacancies, notices and agenda of such meetings the quorum therefor and the conduct of business thereat;
(d) the qualifications and disqualifications for membership in the Board of Management and the Corporation ;
(e) the administration and management of the property of the Corporation : and
(f) generally for the management of the affairs of the Corporation and the accomplishment of its objects and the dissolution of the Corporation.
(2) Any rule made by the Corporation may be amended, altered, or rescinded at a like meeting and in a like manner as a rule made under subsection (1).
(3) The rules of the Association in force on the day immediately preceding the date of commencement of this Act shall in so far as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, be deemed to be rules of the Corporation made under this section.
(4) The members of the Corporation shall be subject to the rules of the Corporation.
Fund of the Corporation.
(1) The Corporation shall have its own fund and all moneys received by way of testamentary dispositions, transfers, donations, contributions or fees shall be deposited in the credit of the Corporation in one or more Banks as the Board of Management shall determine,
(2) There shall be paid out of the fund all sums of money required to defray any expenditure incurred by the Corporation in the exercise, performance and discharge of its powers, duties and functions under this Act.
(3) The moneys of the Corporation .shall be applied solely towards the promotion of the objects as set forth herein and no portion thereof shall be paid or transferred directly or indirectly by way of dividend, bonus or otherwise howsoever to the members of the Corporation.
Accounts and Audit.
(1) The Board of Management shall cause proper accounts to be kept of all income and expenditure by the Corporation.
(2) The accounts of the Corporation shall be audited at least once in every year and the correctness of Income and Expenditure Account and Balance Sheet certified by the auditors appointed by the Board of Management.
Debts due by and payable to the Association.
9. All debts and liabilities of the Association existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act shall be paid and discharged by the Corporation all debts due to subscriptions and contributions payable to the Association on that day shall be paid to the Corporation for the purposes of this Act.
corporation may hold property movable and immovable.
10. The Corporation shall be able and capable in law. to acquire and hold any property movable or immovable which may become vested in it by virtue of purchase, grant, gift, testamentary disposition or otherwise, and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act, and shall subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation with full power to sell, mortgage, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of the same.
Seal of the Corporation.
11. The seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever except in the presence of the President and the Secretary who shall sign their names to the instrument in token of their presence, and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Limitation of liability of members.
12. No member of the Corporation shall for the purpose of discharging the debts and liabilities of the Corporation or for any other purpose, be liable to make any contribution exceeding the amount of such membership fees as may be due from him to the Corporation.
Property remaining on dissolution.
13. If upon the dissolution of the Corporation there remains after the satisfaction of all its debts and liabilities any property whatsoever, such property shall not be distributed among the members of the Corporation, but shall be given or transferred to some other institution or institutions having objects similar to those of the Corporation and which is or are by its or their rules prohibited from distributing any income or property among its members.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and
14. Nothing in this Act contained shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic or of any body politic or corporate or of any other persons, except, such as are mentioned in this Act, and those claiming by. from, or under, them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of any inconsistency.
15. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.