Bakeer Markar Centre For National Unity (Incorporation)
Bakeer Markar Centre For National Unity (Incorporation)
AN ACT TO INCORPORATE THE BAKEER MARKAR CENTRE FOR NATIONAL UNITY
WHEREAS a Centre called and known as the "Bakeer Markar Centre For National Unity" has heretofore been established in Colombo for the purpose of effectually carrying out its objects and transacting all matters connected with the said Centre according to the rules agreed to by its members :
AND WHEREAS the said Centre has heretofore successfully carried out, and transacted, the several objects and matters for which it was established and has applied to be incorporated, it will be for the public advantage to grant such application:
BE it therefore enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows :-
, 2000 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Bakeer Markar Centre for National Unity (Incorporation) Act, No. 17 of 2000.
Incorporation of the Bakeer Marker Centre for National Unity.
2. From and after the date of commencement of this Act, such and so many persons as now are presently members of the Bakeer Markar Centre For National Unity (hereinafter referred to as "The Centre") and such other persons as shall hereafter be admitted as members of the Corporation hereby constituted, shall be, and become, a body Corporate with perpetual succession under the name and style of the Bakeer Markar Centre For National Unity (hereinafter referred to as "The Corporation") and by that name may sue, and be sued in all courts with full power and authority to have, and to use, a common seal and to change and alter the same at its will and pleasure.
General objects of Corporation.
3. The General objects for which the Corporation is the constituted are hereby declared to be "
(a) to promote, encourage, assist and foster, activities for the advancement of national unity, inter communal amity, racial and religious harmony, goodwill and peace amongst people ;
(b) to conduct research for the purpose of achieving the object of national unity ;
(c) to publish educational and informative material, and to make films, videos and recordings, to promote national unity ;
(d) to train persons engaged in activities which are in furtherance of national unity by conducting seminars, discussions and workshops ;
(e) to commemorate or honour outstanding persons or institutions who have contributed towards national unity, by the gram of awards, prizes, scholarships and fellowships ;
(f) to establish libraries, archives and centres to preserve and to protect the cultural heritage of all the communities in Sri Lanka ;
(g) to establish a research centre and a museum to house in particular, the works, speeches and other evidence of events relating to the life of the late Al-Haj Bakeer Markar ;
(h) to provide assistance, by way of scholarships, loans, advances, and grants, to deserving students to pursue studies and research, in Sri Lanka and abroad ;
(i) to promote group discussions, dialogues, and meetings to monitor and eliminate racial or communal discrimination in media reporting ; and
(j) to carry out such other acts as are necessary for, or incidental or conducive to, the attainment of the aforesaid objects.
General powers of the Corporation.
4. Subject to the provisions of this Act and any other written law the Corporation shall have the power to do, perform and execute all such acts, matters and things whatsoever, as are necessary or desirable for the promotion or furtherance of the objects of the Corporation or any one of them, including the power to open, operate and close Bank accounts, to borrow or raise money with or without security, to invest its funds, and to engage, employ and dismiss officers and servants required for the carrying oat of the objects of the Corporation.
Management of the affairs of the Corporation.
(a) The affairs of the Corporation shall, subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation be administered by a Board of Governors consisting of the President, the Secretary and the Treasurer of the Corporation, and not less than twelve other members to be elected in accordance with the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation.
(b) The first Board of Governors of the Corporation shall consist of the members of the Board of Governors of the Centre holding office on the day immediately preceding the date of commencement of this Act.
Rules of the Corporation.
(a) It shall be lawful for the Corporation from time to time, at any general meeting of the members summoned for the purpose with two weeks notice and by a majority of votes of not less than two-thirds of the members present and voting to make rules not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law. with regard to the admission and removal, of members, powers, the conduct and duties of the office-bearers and of the Board of Governors the procedure to be observed in the transaction of business at the meetings of the Board of Governors, the conduct, duties and functions of the officers and servants of the Corporation, and otherwise generally, for the management of the affairs of the Corporation, and the accomplishment of its objects. Such rules when made may, at a like meeting, and in like manner, be altered, added to amended or rescinded.
(b) The rules of the Centre in force on the day immediately proceeding the date of commencement of this Act. shall, insofar as they are not inconsistent with the provisions of this Act or any other written law, be deemed to be the rules of the Corporation made under this section.
(c) The members of the Corporation shall be subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation.
Debts due by and payable to the Centre.
7. All debts and liabilities of the Centre existing on the day preceding the date of commencement of this Act shall be paid by the Corporation hereby constituted, and all debts due to, and subscriptions and contributions payable to. the Centre on that day, shall be paid to the Corporation for the purposes of this Act.
Seal of the Corporation.
8. The Seal of the Corporation shall not be affixed to any instrument whatsoever except in the presence of the president and secretary who shall sign their names to the instrument in token of their presence, and such signing shall be independent of the signing of any person as a witness.
Corporation may hold property movable and immovable.
9. The Corporation shall subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, be able and capable in law to acquire and hold any property property, movable or immovable, or which may become vested in it by virtue of any purchase. grant, gift, testamentary disposition or otherwise and all such property shall be held by the Corporation for the purposes of this Act and subject to the rules in force for the time being of the Corporation, with full power to mortgage, self, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of he same.
Saving of the rights of the Republic and others.
10. Nothing contained in this Act shall prejudice or affect the rights of the Republic, or any body politic or corporate or any other person, except, such as are mentioned in this Act, and those claiming by, from, or under, them.
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
11. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail, any inconsistency.