Local Authorities (Special Provisions)
Local Authorities (Special Provisions)
AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE CALLING OF FRESH NOMINATIONS AND THE HOLDING OF ELECTIONS IN RESPECT OF CERTAIN MUNICIPAL COUNCILS, URBAN COUNCILS AND PRADESHIYA SABHAS, IN THE NORTHERN AND EASTERN PROVINCES WHERE ELECTIONS TO SUCH COUNCILS AND SABHAS HAVE BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO UNFORSEEN AND URGENT CIRCUMSTANCES; AND TO PROVIDE FOR MATTERS CONNECTED THEREWITH OR INCIDENTAL THERETO.
WHEREAS Notices were published under section 26 of the Local Authorities Elections Ordinance, that nominations will be received in respect of elections to all Municipal Councils, Urban Councils and Pradeshiya Sabhas in the Northern and Eastern Provinces:
AND WHEREAS nominations were received in respect of three Municipal Councils, six Urban Councils and forty-four Pradeshiya Sabhas and no nominations were received in respect of seven Pradeshiya Sabhas :
AND WHEREAS out of the above Councils and Sabhas, elections in respect of three Municipal Councils, six Urban Councils and fifty-one Pradeshiya Sabhas, were contested and therefore the date of poll for elections to these Municipal Councils, Urban Councils and Pradeshiya Sabhas was fixed for March 25,2002 by Notices published under section 38 of the Local Authorities Elections Ordinance in respect of the respective Councils and Sabhas :
AND WHEREAS the dates of poll fixed for the holding of elections for the aforesaid three Municipal Councils, six Urban Councils and fifty-one Pradeshiya Sabhas were postponed from time to time due to urgent and unforseen circumstances by Orders made under subsection (3) of section 38 of the Local Authorities Elections Ordinance.
AND WHEREAS persons who have tendered their nominations have either died or been displaced, or have changed their party, or due to the fact that a considerable number of persons who have tendered their nominations have gone abroad, or where persons who were below the age of thirty-five at the time of tendering nominations are now over the age of thirty - five, it has become necessary to provide for the calling of fresh nominations in respect of the aforesaid Municipal Councils, Urban Councils and Pradeshiya Sabhas :
AND WHEREAS due to the period of time that has elapsed since the submission of nominations in respect of the aforesaid three Municipal Councils, six Urban Councils and fifty-one Pradeshiya Sabhas, it has become necessary to provide for the calling of fresh nominations in respect of such Municipal Councils, Urban Councils and Pradeshiya Sabhas, and to make provision for the holding of fresh elections in respect of the aforesaid Councils and Sabhas :
NOW THEREFORE, BE it enacted by the Parliament of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka as follows :-
, 2006 ]
1. This Act may be cited as the Local Authorities (Special Provisions) Act, No. 2 of 2006.
Provisions relating to nominations and deposits in respect of elections to certain Councils and Sabhas.
(1) Nomination papers submitted, under section 28 of the Ordinance in respect of elections to the Municipal Councils, Urban Councils and Pradeshiya Sabhas specified in Schedules I, II and III in response to the Notices published under section 26 of the Ordinance are hereby deemed to be of no force and effect, and as if such nomination papers had never been submitted.
(2) The Notices published under section 38 of the Ordinance in respect of elections to the Municipal Councils, Urban Councils and Pradeshiya Sabhas specified in Schedules I, II and III are hereby revoked.
(3) Deposits made under section 29 of the Ordinance in respect of candidates nominated by an independent group for election to any of the Municipal Councils, Urban Councils or Pradeshiya Sabhas specified in Schedules I, II and III shall notwithstanding anything to the contrary in section 30 of the Ordinance, be refunded to the person by whom the deposit was made, on the production by such person, of the receipt issued to him under sub section (3) of section 30 of the Ordinance together with interest on such deposit at the rate of twelve per centum per annum, from the date of deposit to the date of refund.
Steps to be commenced for holding of elections.
3. Steps shall be commenced under the Ordinance, for the holding of elections to the Municipal Councils and Urban Councils and the Pradeshiya Sabhas specified in Schedule I, II and III:
Provided that the notice of nomination in terms of the Ordinance shall be published on such date as the Minister may determine by Order published in the Gazette, such date shall however, not be later than six months from the date of the coming into operation of this Act.
4. In this Act, "Ordinance" means the Local Authorities Election Ordinance (Chapter 262).
Sinhala text to prevail in case of inconsistency.
5. In the event of any inconsistency between the Sinhala and Tamil texts of this Act, the Sinhala text shall prevail.
1. Batticaloa Municipal Council
2. Jaffna Municipal Council
3. Kalmunai Municipal Council
1. Kathankudy Urban Council
2. Chavekachcheri Urban Council
3. Point Pedro Urban Council
4. Valvettithurai Urban Council
5. Trincomalee Urban Council 6. Vavuniya Urban Council.
1. Ninthavur Pradeshiya Sabha
2. Samanthurai Pradeshiya Sabha
3. Addlarchenai Pradeshiya Sabha
4. Akkaraipattu Pradeshiya Sabha
5. Pottuvil Pradeshiya Sabha
6. Thriukkovil Pradeshiya Sabha
7. Koralai Pattu North Pradeshiya Sabha
8. Koralai Pattu West Pradeshiya Sabha
9. Koralai Pattu Pradeshiya Sabha
10. Eravul Pattu Pradeshiya Sabha
11. Mannmunai West Pradeshiya Sabha
12. Mannmunai Pattu Pradeshiya Sabha
13. Mannmunai South Earuvil Pattu Pradeshiya Sabha
14. Mannmunai Pattu South West Pradeshiya Sabha
15. Town and Gravets Pradeshiya Sabha
16. Kuchchaveli Pradeshiya Sabha
17. Thampalagamam Pradeshiya Sabha
18. Kinniya Pradeshiya Sabha
19. Muthur Pradeshiya Sabha
20. Kanthale Pradeshiya Sabha
21. Gomarankadawela Pradeshiya Sabha
22. Morawewa Pradeshiya Sabha
23. Padavisiripura Pradeshiya Sabha
24. Seruwila Pradeshiya Sabha
25. Chavakachcheri Pradeshiya Sabha
26. Delft Pradeshiya Sabha
27. Velanai Pradeshiya Sabha
28. Kayts Pradeshiya Sabha
29. Valikamam West Pradeshiya Sabha
30. Valikamam South West Pradeshiya Sabha
31. Valikamam South Pradeshiya Sabha
32. Valikamam North Pradeshiya Sabha
33. Valikamam East Pradeshiya Sabha
34. Vadamarachchi South West Pradeshiya Sabha
35. Point Pedro Pradeshiya Sabha
36. Nallur Pradeshiya Sabha
37. Vavuniya South Tamil Pradeshiya Sabha
38. Vavuniya South Sinhala Pradeshiya Sabha
39. Vavuniya North Pradeshiya Sabha
40. Vengalachchedikulam Pradeshiya Sabha
41. Mannar Pradeshiya Sabha
42. Manthai West Pradeshiya Sabha
43. Nanattan Pradeshiya Sabha
44. Musali Pradeshiya Sabha
45. Maritime Pradeshiya Sabha
46. Puthukudiyiruppu Pradeshiya Sabha
47. Thunukkai Pradeshiya Sabha
48. Manthai East Pradeshiya Sabha
49. Karachchi Pradeshiya Sabha
50. Poonakary Pradeshiya Sabha
51. Pachchilaipalli Pradeshiya Sabha