AIR UNIVERSITY ORDINANCE, 2002
AIR UNIVERSITY ORDINANCE, 2002
Last Updated: 20021029
1 SHORT TITLE AND COMMENCEMENT
3 ESTABLISHMENT AND INCORPORATION OF THE UNIVERSITY
4 PURPOSES, POWERS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE UNIVERSITY
5 PRINCIPAL TEACHING FACILITIES, EXAMINATIONS, ETC
6 UNIVERSITY TO BE OPEN TO ALL CLASSES, CREEDS, ETC
AIR UNIVERSITY ORDINANCE, 2002.
ORDINANCE NO.CVII OF 2002.
To provide for the establishment of the Air University at Islamabad
WHEREAS it is expedient to provide for the establishment of the Air university at Islamabad and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto;
AND WHEREAS the President is satisfied that circumstances exist which render it necessary to take immediate action;
NOW, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Proclamation of the fourteenth day of October, 1999, and the Provisional Constitution Order No.1 of 1999, read with the Provisional Constitution (Amendment) Order No. 9 of 1999, and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf, the President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan is plod to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:
1. Short title and commencement.(1) This Ordinance may be called the Air University Ordinance, 2002.
(2) It shall conic into force at once.
2. Definitions: In this Ordinance, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,
(a) "Academic Council" means the Academic Council of the University established under section 24;
(h) "affiliated institutions" means institutions authorized by the Board to conduct academic programmes approved by the University;
(c) "Authority" means any of the authorities of the University specified in section 18;
(d) "Board" means the Board of Governors of the University constituted under section 19;
(e) "Chancellor" means the Chancellor of the University;
(f) "Committee" means the Executive Committee of the University constituted under section 23;
(g) "constituent units" means the units maintained and administered by the University;
(h) "Director Academic Affairs" means the Director Academic Affairs appointed under section 12;
(i) "Director Examinations" means the Director Examinations appointed under section 13;
(j) "Director Finance" means the Director Finance appointed under section 14;
(k) "Director Research and Development" means the Director Research and Development appointed under section I5;
(I) "Head" means the I lead of a college or an Institute;
(m) "Institute" means an Institute that is a constituent unit of the University;
(n) "prescribed" means prescribed by regulations;
(o) "ProChancellor" means the ProChancellor of the University appointed under section 9;
(p) "Registrar" means the Registrar of the University;
(q) "regulations, rules aria Statutes" means regulation; rules and Statutes made under this Ordinance ;
(r) "University" means the Air University established under this Ordinance; and
(s) "ViceChancellor" means the ViceChancellor of the University appointed under section 10.
3. Establishment and incorporation of the University:__ (I) There shall be established a University to be known as the Air University consisting of
(i) the Chancellor," the ProChancellor, the Board, the ViceChancellor, the Registrar, the Directors and the I leads;
(ii) the governing bodies of constituent units by whatever names called;
(iii) members of such other councils, committees and administrative bodies as the Board may establish, from time to time;
(iv) members of the faculties and students of the colleges and Institutes which arc constituent units of the University; and
(v) such other officers and members of the stuff as may be specified by the Board, from time to time.
(2) The University shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power, subject to the provisions of this Ordinance, to acquire, hold and dispose of property, both movable and immovable, and shall by its name sue and be sued.
(3) The University shall have its principal seat at Islamabad.
(4) All the existing degree colleges and service institutions being managed by the Pakistan Air Force shall be constituent units of the University and any college or institution being managed by the Pakistan Air Force which is upgraded in future may become constituent unit of the University, as the Board may determine.
(5) The University may set up any number of colleges and Institutes as its constituent units at such places in Pakistan and abroad, as the Board may determine.
4. Purposes, powers and functions of the University.(1) The purposes of the University shall be the promotion and dissemination of knowledge and technology and to provide for instructions, training, research, demonstration and service in such branches of learning as the Board may determine.
(2) The University shall have power to govern its academic and administrative functions in order to achieve its objectives.
(3) In particular and without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing powers, the following shall be the powers and functions of the University, namely
(a) To determine courses of study in the existing and other disciplines as may be added at all levels including Bachelor, Masters and Doctoral Degrees;
(b) to determine courses of study at the undergraduate and graduate levels in its constituent units where applicable as well us in its affiliated institutions;
(c) to select and examine students;
(d). to award degrees, diplomas, certificates and other academic distinctions;
(e) to pursue and coordinate research and enter into joint ventures, collaborative projects or contractual arrangements in order to pursue pure and applied research;
(f) to affiliate itself or collaborate with other local or foreign institutions and establish faculties in Pakistan or abroad for better discharge of its functions and responsibilities and for achievement of its goals; .
(g) to decide teaching methods and strategies in order to ensure the most effective educational and research programmes;
(h) to use the financial and other resources allocated to it for the execution of its functions;
(i) to confer in the prescribed manner, honorary degrees or other distinctions on persons approved by the Board Rif the purpose;
(j) to confer degrees on persons who have carried on independent research under the prescribed conditions;
(k) to provide for such instructions for persons not being students of the University as it may determine, and grant certificates and diplomas to such persons;
(I) to accept the examinations passed and the periods of study spent, by students of the University at other Universities and places of learning as equivalent to such examinations and periods of study in the University as it may determine, and to withdraw such acceptance;
(m) to institute professorships, associate professorships, assistant professorship; lecturerships, research associateships and other posts, and to make appointments thereto;
(n) to create posts for teaching, research, administration and other related purposes and to appoint persons thereto;
(o) to institute and award fellowships scholarships, bursaries, medals and prizes under the prescribed conditions. The University shall extend scholarships to deserving ten per cent students;
(p) to establish institutes, faculties, libraries, laboratories, workshops, warehouses, museums and other centers of learning for the development of teaching and research and make such arrangements for their maintenance, management and administration as it may deem appropriate;
(q) to make provision for research and advisory services and with these objectives to enter in arrangements with other institutions or with public bodies within Pakistan and abroad under the prescribed conditions. The University skid" provide extensive research facilities by utilizingten per cent of its budget allocations;
(r) to enter into, carry out, vary or cancel contracts;
(s) to receive and manage property, transfers and grants, bequests, trusts, gifts, donations, endowments and other contributions made to it by domestic and foreign sources and invest any funds representing such property, grants, bequest; trusts, gifts, donations, endowments or contributions and convert one kind of property into another, in such manner as it may deem fit;
(t) to provide for the printing, publication, distribution and sale of research and other works;
(u) to authorise and agree when warranted by the circumstances to the mobility of qualified staff among Universities, research organizations and the Government or corporate bodies provided that the rights and privileges of the staff under this arrangement shall be protected; and
(v) to do all such other acts and things, whether incidental to the powers aforesaid or not, as may be required in order to further its objectives as a place of education, learning and research.
5. Principal teaching facilities, examinations, etc. (1)The principal teaching facilities of the University shall consist of the constituent units and such other colleges and Institutes as may be determined by the Board, from true to time.
(2) Some of the existing colleges and Institutes referred to in subsection (I) shall continue to function under their existing administrative and financial arrangements:
Provided that the examinations and other academic activities, including research shall be subject to coordination and supervision by the University.
(3) Academic activities, examinations and syllabi at the colleges and Institutes referred to in sub section (I) shall be in conformity with and as prescribed by the University.
(4) The University may, with the approval of the Board. provide facilities to the representatives of the Higher Education Commission and the Pakistan Air Force or such relevant organizations for visitation to citable them to verify and ensure that appropriate academic standards arc being maintained by it.
6. University to be open to all classes, creeds, etc.__ The University, except the service Institutions, shall be open to all persona of either sex of whatever religion, race. class, creed, colour or domicile who qualify for admission to the courses of study offered by the University based on the criteria and policy determined by the Board, and no such person shall be denied the privileges of the University only on the ground of sex, religion, race, class, creed, colour or domicile.
7. Patron: The President of the Islamic Republic of Pakistan shall he the Patron of the University.
8. Chancellor:__ (I) Appointment of the Chancellor shall he made by the Patron in consultation with Higher EducationCommission from a panel recommended by the Pakistan Air Force.
(2) The Chancellor shall preside over the and meetings at which his presence is desirable in the light of the business being transacted.
(3) The Chancellor, or in his absence the ProChancellor or the ViceChancellor as authorized by him, shall preside at convocation of the University.
(4) Every proposal to confer an honorary degree shall be subject to confirmation by the Chancellor.
(5) If the Chancellor is satisfied that the proceedings or orders of any authority are not in accordance with the provisions of this Ordinance, the Statutes, rules or regulations, he may, after calling upon such authority to show cause in writing, annul such proceedings or orders.
9. ProChancellor. (I) The ProChancellor shall be appointed by the Chancellor for such period and on such terms and conditions as the Chancellor may determine.
(2) The ProChancellor shall act for the Chancellor at any time when the office of the Chancellor is vacant, or the Chancellor is absent or is unable to perform the functions of his office due to any cause. lie shall seek approval of the Chancellor on all actions taken by him during the absence of the Chancellor.
(3) The ProChancellor shall perform such other functions as may be entrusted to him by the Chancellor.
10. ViceChancellor. (I) The Board shall appoint an educationist of good repute and experience as ViceChancellor, on such terms and conditions, as it may determine.
(2) The ViceChancellor shall hold office for a term of four years and shall be eligible for re appointment for a similar term or such shorter period and on the same or varied terms and conditions as the Board may determine.
(3) The ViceChancellor shall be the chief executive of the University in all fields of academics and administration, and shall have overall responsibility for the direction, organization, administration and programmes of the University in accordance with the guidelines and general policies formulated by the Board and for the implementation of the decisions and policies of the Board.
(4) TheVice Chancellor shall
(a) ensure the disciplined educational environment visualized for. the University
(b) oversee, monitor and supervise all academic activities, including examinations and applied research to ensure that proper academic standards are maintained;
(c) exercise administrative control over the academic and administrative staff employed by the University including their recruitment;
(d) submit the plans of work and budget estimates of the University for the approval of the Roared;
(e) direct the activities connected with execution of programmes for instruction, training, research, demonstration and service, and authorize expenditure provided for in the budget as approved by the Board;
(f) make appointments to academic and nonacademic positions that he has been authorized in accordance with the policies and procedures approved by the Board so as to ensure the highest intellectual and moral qualities in the persons appointed;
(g) appoint, subject to approval of the Board, on contract, teachers, officers and staff of the University and such other persons as may be necessary for a period not exceeding two years;
(h) submit to the Board, in accordance with the rules of procedure framed by it, reports on the activities of the University and the execution of the plans of work;