Revised Laws of Mauritius
B9 – 1 [Issue 1]
BOARD OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES ACT Act 2 of 1977 – 18 June 1977
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1. Short title 2. Interpretation 3. The Board 4. Functions of Board 5. Meetings of Board 6. Appointment of committees 7. Technical experts 8. Expenses
BOARD OF AGRICULTURE AND NATURAL RESOURCES ACT
1. Short title
This Act may be cited as the Board of Agriculture and Natural Resources Act.
[S. 1 amended by s. 99 (1) (a) of Act 19 of 2002 w.e.f. 1 December 2003.]
In this Act—
“Board” means the Board of Agriculture and Natural Resources estab- lished by section 3;
“committee” means a committee appointed under section 6;
“member” means a member of the Board and includes the Chairperson;
“Minister” means the Minister to whom responsibility for the subject of agriculture is assigned.
[S. 2 amended by s. 99 (1) (b) of Act 19 of 2002 w.e.f. 1 December 2003.]
3. The Board
(1) There is established for the purposes of this Act a Board of Agricul- ture and Natural Resources.
(2) The Board shall consist of—
(a) the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry responsible for the sub- ject of agriculture as Chairperson;
[S. 3 amended by s. 99 (1) (c) of Act 19 of 2002 w.e.f. 1 December 2003.]
Board of Agriculture and Natural Resources Act
[Issue 1] B9 – 2
(b) the Chief Agricultural Officer; (c) the Conservator of Forests; (d) a representative of the Minister to whom responsibility for the
subject of finance is assigned; (e) a representative of the Minister to whom responsibility for the
subject of lands is assigned; (f) a representative of the Minister to whom responsibility for the
subject of co-operatives is assigned; (g) a representative of the Minister to whom responsibility for the
subject of labour is assigned; (h) a representative of the Mauritius Sugar Industry Research
Institute; (i) a representative of the University of Mauritius; (j) a representative of the Chamber of Agriculture; (k) a representative of the Mauritius Co-operative Agricultural Fed-
eration Ltd; (l) 2 representatives of small sugar cane planters and one represen-
tative of large sugar cane planters, appointed by the Minister af- ter consultation with such organisations of planters as the Minis- ter thinks fit;
(m) 4 members of the Assembly appointed by the Minister.
(3) Every member specified in subsection (2) (h), (i), (j), (k), (l) and (m) shall—
(a) hold and vacate office on such terms as the Minister may determine;
(b) not be considered as holding a public office by virtue of his appointment.
(4) The composition of the Board shall be published in the Gazette.
4. Functions of Board
The Board shall—
(a) advise the Minister on all matters of general policy relating to agriculture, forestry and the utilisation and preservation of natu- ral resources and the environment;
(b) enquire into and report to the Minister on such specific matters relating to the activities set out in paragraph (a), as the Minister may refer to the Board.
5. Meetings of Board
(1) The Chairperson shall convene a meeting of the Board whenever required to do so in writing by the Minister or by not less than one third of the members.
Revised Laws of Mauritius
B9 – 3 [Issue 1]
(2) The Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the Board, and in his absence from a meeting, the members present shall elect from among them- selves a member to preside at that meeting.
(3) The quorum of the Board shall be 8.
(4) All acts, matters or things authorised or required to be done by the Board shall be decided by a simple majority of the members present and voting.
(5) At a meeting of the Board, each member shall have one vote on the matter in question and, in the event of an equality of votes, the person pre- siding shall have a casting vote.
(6) Subject to the other provisions of this section, the Board shall regu- late its meetings in such manner as it thinks fit.
6. Appointment of committees
(1) The Minister may, on the advice of the Board, appoint such commit- tees as he thinks fit to assist the Board in the performance of its functions under this Act.
(2) A committee shall consist of such members as the Minister may determine.
(3) Every committee shall, subject to such directions as the Minister or the Board may give, regulate its meetings in such manner as it thinks fit.
7. Technical experts
(1) Where the Minister considers it necessary for the Board or a commit- tee to have expert or technical advice on any matter, he may appoint a per- son for that purpose.
(2) A person appointed under subsection (1) shall take part in proceed- ings of the Board or the committee, as the case may be, relating to the mat- ter for which he was appointed, but he shall have no right to vote.
All administrative expenses required for the purposes of this Act shall be a charge on the Consolidated Fund.