ON THE AMENDMENT TO THE STATUTES ON THE BALTIC ASSEMBLY
PRIZES FOR LITERATURE, THE ARTS AND SCIENCE
The Baltic Assembly decides to adopt the following amendments to the Statutes on the Baltic Assembly Prizes for Literature, the Arts and Science:
1. To replace a word “Statutes” with a word “Regulations” in the title and the entire text.
2. To replace “Judging Committee” with “Jury” in the entire text;
3. To amend Article 2 of Chapter I and set it forth to read as follows:
“The Prizes shall be awarded within the framework of mutual parliamentary cooperation among Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, on the basis of the decision passed by the Joint Jury.”
4. To supplement Chapter I with Articles 4, 5, 6 and 7, and set them forth to read as follows:
“4. The Baltic Assembly Prize for Literature shall be awarded annually to an author for a novel, a play, a collection of poems, short stories or essays, or any similar written composition in Estonian, Latvian or Lithuanian. The work must have been published for the first time within the past three years.
5. The Baltic Assembly Prize for the Arts shall be awarded annually either to an author or to a performer for a work of art or a series of works presented (performed before an audience) within the past three years in fine arts, applied arts, in music, architecture, theatre or cinema. It also may be awarded to a director, soloist, actor, ballet artist or a group of artists for outstanding artistic achievement accomplished within the past three years.
6. The Baltic Assembly Prize for Science shall be awarded annually to an author for outstanding research work or series of works in the humanities, social or natural sciences, which is of international importance, has a considerable impact on the Baltic region and has been published within the past three years.
7. The prize – a statuette, a certificate signed by the President and Vice Presidents of the Baltic Assembly, and a monetary award – shall be presented at a special awards ceremony.”
5. To amend Chapter II and set it forth to read as follows:
“II. The National Jury
1. Nominees for the Baltic Assembly Prizes from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania shall be assessed by National Juries.
2. The National Jury shall consist of at least nine people. The members of the National Jury shall be outstanding specialists in the fields of literature, the arts and science and shall be nominated by creative unions, academies of science, councils of science, or other institutions and organisations working in the field of literature, the arts and science.
3. The members of the National Jury shall be appointed for a period of three years with a possibility to be re-appointed for the next three consecutive years.
4. The National Jury meetings shall be convened at least once a year. Decisions on the nomination of the works for the Joint Jury shall be made with an absolute majority. The National Jury shall submit the decisions to the Secretariat of the Baltic Assembly in English.”
6. To amend Article 3 of Chapter III and set it forth to read as follows:
“3. The members of the Joint Jury shall be replaced every three years. Every year at least one member of the Joint Jury from each state must be replaced. The same person may not serve in the Joint Jury for more than three consecutive years.”
7. To amend Article 4 of Chapter III and set it forth to read as follows:
“The Joint Jury decides on its internal working procedures.”
8. To amend Article 6 of Chapter III and to set it forth to read as follows:
“The Joint Jury meetings shall be convened at least once a year and shall be recorded in writing in English.”
9. To amend Article 7 of Chapter III and to set it forth to read as follows:
“The Joint Jury meetings shall have full powers if at least three representatives from each country participate.”
10. To supplement Chapter III with Articles 8, 9 and 10, and set them forth to read as follows:
“8. The Joint Jury shall have a right to decide not to award the Prize. The Prize shall neither be awarded if the Joint Jury is not able to reach an agreement, that is, to make a decision with a simple majority vote. Resources that are saved due to Prize not being awarded shall be transferred to the following year’s budget.
9. The Joint Jury shall make its decisions and the reasoning thereof known to the public.
10. The works and portfolio with the curriculum vitae, reviews, presentation materials, published or recorded materials of the Prize winners shall remain in the archives of the Baltic Assembly.”
11. To amend Chapter IV and set it forth to read as follows:
“IV. Nominating the Work and Awarding the Prizes
1. Portfolio and works with all the necessary information (the curriculum vitae of a nominee, reviews, at least two letters of recommendation and other relevant materials) shall be submitted to the relevant National Jury in accordance with the regulations of the competition prior to 1 June. Works nominated for international competition shall be submitted to the Joint Jury not later than two weeks before the meeting of the Joint Jury.
2. The relevant National Jury shall assess submitted works and nominate the best work from the fields of literature, the arts and science for international competition judged by the Joint Jury.
3. The Joint Jury shall convene for the meeting not later than one month prior to the annual Session of the Baltic Assembly.
4. The same person (group of persons) may not receive the Prize more than once.”
12. To amend Chapter V and set it forth to read as follows:
“V. The Administration of National Juries and the Joint Jury
1. Activities of the National Jury shall be coordinated by the secretaries of the national delegations to the Baltic Assembly.
2. Activities of the Joint Jury shall be supported by the Baltic Assembly Secretariat.
3. Each year funds shall be appropriated for ensuring the activities of the Joint Jury and National Juries in accordance with the budget of the Baltic Assembly of the current year.”
13. To supplement the Regulations with the new version of Chapter VI – “Final Provisions” and set it forth to read as follows:
“VI. Final Provisions
The Regulations on the Baltic Assembly Prizes for Literature, the Arts and Science shall be adopted, amended and, if necessary, the awarding of the Prizes shall be suspended by the Session of the Baltic Assembly.”
14. To delete former Chapter VI, as well as Chapter VII.
Vilnius, 9 November 2012