ontario regulation 197/14
made under the
Technical Standards and Safety Act, 2000
Made: October 22, 2014
Filed: October 24, 2014
Published on e-Laws: October 24, 2014
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: November 8, 2014
Liability Insurance Requirements for Propane Operators
Liability insurance required
1. To be eligible to hold an authorization for the purposes of Ontario Regulation 211/01 (Propane Storage and Handling) made under the Act with respect to the matters listed in Column 1 of the Table, a person shall have and maintain general commercial liability coverage in at least the amount listed in Column 2 opposite the matter:
Authorization with respect to the following matters
Minimum amount of insurance in dollars
A facility for which the operator is required to have a Level 1 risk and safety management plan under Ontario Regulation 211/01
A facility for which the operator is required to have a Level 2 risk and safety management plan under Ontario Regulation 211/01
Evidence of insurance required
2. (1) The director appointed under section 4 of the Act for the purposes of Ontario Regulation 211/01 (Propane Storage and Handling) made under the Act shall not issue or renew an authorization for the purposes of that regulation unless the applicant or the authorization holder, as the case may be, provides evidence on the application for the authorization or the renewal of having obtained the insurance required by section 1.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), evidence of insurance shall consist of a certificate of insurance issued by an insurer licensed under the Insurance Act or under similar legislation of another Canadian jurisdiction.
(3) A person required to have and maintain insurance coverage under section 1 shall notify the director mentioned in subsection (1), as soon as is reasonable in the circumstances, of any change to the insurance coverage that is below the minimum amount required by section 1.
3. This Regulation comes into force on the later of January 1, 2016 and the day it is filed.
Minister of Government and Consumer Services
Date made: October 22, 2014.