ontario regulation 214/14
made under the
Highway Traffic Act
Made: November 5, 2014
Filed: November 10, 2014
Published on e-Laws: November 10, 2014
Printed in The Ontario Gazette: November 29, 2014
Amending Reg. 628 of R.R.O. 1990
1. Regulation 628 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990 is amended by adding the following section:
8.0.1 (1) This section applies to applications for the issuance of number plates or evidence of validation for use on a number plate for,
(a) a bus; or
(b) a commercial motor vehicle, other than a bus, having a registered gross weight of more than 4,500 kilograms.
(2) Number plates or evidence of validation for use on a number plate shall not be issued in respect of a motor vehicle to which this section applies unless the Ministry is satisfied that the person whose name is to appear or appears on the plate portion of the permit is the holder of a valid CVOR certificate.
(3) Despite subsection (2), number plates or evidence of validation for use on a number plate may be issued even if the person whose name is to appear or appears on the plate portion of the permit is not the holder of a valid CVOR certificate, provided the Ministry is satisfied that the vehicle will be operated in accordance with the law.
(4) This section does not apply to applications for temporary validation of a permit.
(5) In this section,
“valid CVOR certificate” means a CVOR certificate, as defined in subsection 16 (1) of the Act, that,
(a) is not under suspension,
(b) has not expired,
(c) has not been revoked or cancelled, and
(d) has not been terminated by the holder of the certificate.
2. This Regulation comes into force on the later of January 1, 2015 and the day it is filed.