Provincial Framework and Action Plan concerning Emerging Vector-Borne Diseases Act, 2015
S.o. 2015, chapter 13
Consolidation Period: From June 2, 2015 to the e-Laws currency date.
1. (1) In this Act,
“Agency” means the Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion established under section 3 of the Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion Act, 2007.
Interpretation, emerging vector-borne diseases
(2) For the purposes of this Act, emerging vector-borne diseases are infectious vector-borne diseases that constitute or are likely to constitute a risk to public health in Ontario.
Duty to develop provincial framework and action plan
2. (1) The Minister of Health and Long-Term Care shall develop a provincial framework and action plan concerning emerging vector-borne diseases that does or provides for the following:
1. Enhances provincial surveillance by using data in the custody and control of the Agency to properly track incidence rates of emerging vector-borne diseases.
2. Establishes guidelines regarding the prevention, identification, treatment and management of emerging vector-borne diseases, including preparedness guidelines and the sharing of best practices throughout the province.
3. Creates and distributes standardized educational materials related to emerging vector-borne diseases, for use by health care providers and by members of the public, designed to increase awareness about those diseases and enhance their prevention, identification, treatment and management.
4. Promotes research in connection with emerging vector-borne diseases.
Administration of provincial framework and action plan
(2) The Minister is responsible for the administration of the provincial framework and action plan.
(3) For the purpose of developing and administering the provincial framework and action plan, the Minister may consult with any other affected ministries, the Agency, boards of health, the Public Health Agency of Canada, the federal Government or any other persons or entities that the Minister considers appropriate in the circumstances.
(4) Within one year after developing the provincial framework and action plan, the Minister shall publish it on a Government of Ontario website.
(5) In this section,
“board of health” has the same meaning as in subsection 1 (1) of the Health Protection and Promotion Act.
(provides for coming into force of provisions of this Act).
4. Omitted (enacts short title of this Act).