Health Insurance (Pathology Services) Amendment Regulation 2012 (No. 1)1
Select Legislative Instrument 2012 No. 166
I, QUENTIN BRYCE, Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia, acting with the advice of the Federal Executive Council, make the following regulation under the Health Insurance Act 1973.
Dated 12 July 2012
By Her Excellency’s Command
Minister for Health
1 Name of regulation
This regulation is the Health Insurance (Pathology Services) Amendment Regulation 2012 (No. 1).
This regulation commences on 1 August 2012.
3 Amendment of Health Insurance (Pathology Services) Regulations 1989
Schedule 1 amends the Health Insurance (Pathology Services) Regulations 1989.
Schedule 1 Amendments
 Subregulation 4 (2), except the note
(2) For paragraph 16A (4) (b) of the Act, a request must, subject to subregulation (9), contain the particulars required by subregulations (3), (5), (6) and (8).
 Subregulation 4 (4)
 Paragraph 4 (6) (c)
 Paragraph 4 (6) (d)
 Subregulations 4 (6A) to (8)
(7) Subregulations (8) and (9) apply if:
(a) a treating practitioner makes a request (the first request) for a service that is received by an approved pathology practitioner (the referring pathologist); and
(b) the referring pathologist makes a request (the further request) for the service to an approved pathology authority or another approved pathology practitioner.
(8) The further request must include the treating practitioner’s name, relevant address and provider number mentioned in the first request.
(9) The further request need not comply with subregulations (5), (6) and (8) if:
(a) the further request relates only to the service to which the first request relates; and
(b) the first request is attached to the further request.
1. All legislative instruments and compilations are registered on the Federal Register of Legislative Instruments kept under the Legislative Instruments Act 2003. See www.comlaw.gov.au.