Commonwealth of Australia
Migration Agents Regulations 1998
Prescribed Continuing Professional Development for Applicants for Registration as a Migration Agent
I, MICHAELIA CASH, Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, acting under regulation 6 of the Migration Agent Regulations 1998 (‘the Regulations’):
1) REVOKE Instrument number IMMI 12/067, signed on 16 July 2012, specifying
prescribed continuing professional development for applicants for registration as a
Migration Agent for the purposes of regulation 6 of the Regulations; AND
2) SPECIFY that the prescribed minimum score in an exam in English Language proficiency for the purposes of subregulation 6(2)(a) is:
a) an overall score of 7.0 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic or General Training formats with a minimum score of 6.5 in each subtest (speaking, listening, reading and writing); OR
b) an overall score of 100 in the Internet Based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) with a minimum score of 22 in each subtest (speaking, listening, reading and writing);
that was completed on or after 1 January 2008 or no more than 24 months prior to the agent’s initial registration with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (‘the Authority’) where continuous registration has been maintained.
3) SPECIFY that the applicant is within a specified class of persons for the purposes of subregulation 6(2)(c) if:
a) the Authority has determined as part of a previous application that the agent complies with the English Language proficiency requirements specified at (1); OR
b) the Authority has determined, as part of a previous application, that the agent held a legal practising certificate issued by an Australian body authorised by law to issue it and is, therefore, not required to comply with the English Language proficiency requirements specified at (1); OR
c) the agent was registered prior to 1 January 2004 and has been registered with the Authority for a period not less than 10 years (excluding any period of suspension);OR
d) the Authority is satisfied that the agent has met one of the two education options set out below:
Education Option 1:
Education Option 2:
Successful completion of:
· secondary school studies to the equivalent of Australian Year 12 level, with a minimum of 4 years' study at secondary school or equivalent;
· a Bachelor degree, or a higher degree, with a minimum of 3 years’ equivalent full-time study;
o the secondary school and degree studies were completed at one or more educational institutions in an approved country (listed below); and
o English was the primary language of instruction during the studies; and
o the applicant was resident in the approved country (listed below) throughout the study periods.
Successful completion of:
· the equivalent of secondary school studies to Australian Year 10 or Australian Year 12 level;
· at least 10 years of primary and/or secondary schooling at an institution in an approved country listed below);
o English was the primary language of instruction at the school/s; and
o the applicant was resident in an approved country (listed below) throughout the schooling period.
Approved countries: Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Republic of South Africa, Canada
This Instrument, IMMI 13/089, commences on 1 January 2014.
Dated 15. 10 2013
Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection