DETERMINATION OF FISHING CAPACITY
Fisheries Management Act 1991
Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery Management Plan 1995
SOUTHERN BLUEFIN TUNA FISHERY TRANSFER WEIGHING DETERMINATION 2013
The AUSTRALIAN FISHERIES MANAGEMENT AUTHORITY makes the following Determination pursuant to subsection 17(6)(aa) of the Fisheries Management Act 1991 under subclause 22B.2 of the Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery Management Plan 1995.
Dated: 25 October 2013
The Common Seal of the Australian
Fisheries Management Authority
was affixed in accordance with a
resolution of the Commission
Australian Fisheries Management Authority
1. This Determination may be cited as the Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery Transfer Weighing Determination 2013.
2. This Determination commences on the day after it is registered on the Federal Register of Legislative Instruments.
3. This Determination ceases as if it was revoked on 30 November 2014 unless earlier revoked.
4. A term used in this Determination that is defined for the purposes of the Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery Management Plan 1995 has the same meaning in this Determination as it has in that Plan.
Notes: i. Terms defined in the Fisheries Management Act 1991 have the same meanings in this Determination.
ii. Terms defined in the Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery Management Plan include “Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery”.
Determination of transfer weighing methods
5. Southern Bluefin Tuna must not be transferred from a tow cage to a farm without a transfer weighing of the fish, conducted by AFMA or an Agent of AFMA using the procedures set out below as directed by AFMA or an Agent of AFMA.
6. A weighing is a transfer weighing only if it meets the requirements of clause 7.
Transfer weighing procedures
7. A transfer weighing of fish is to be conducted in the following manner:
(a) At least 100 fish of 10 kilograms or greater are to be taken from the tow cage and the average weight of those fish must be determined to 2 decimal places;
(b) A video recording is to be made of the transfer of the fish from the tow cage to the farm;
(c) The video is to depict a side view covering the opening between the tow cage and the farm in order that all southern bluefin tuna transferred will appear on the video recording;
(d) Once the transfer is complete, a farm representative and AFMA or an Agent of AFMA are to view the recording and tally the number of fish transferred; and
(e) The weight of fish in the transfer weighing is the weight obtained by multiplying the average weight determined under paragraph (a) by the number of fish determined under paragraph (d).