0.631.253.225 translation agreement between the Switzerland and the Italy relating to the establishment of a customs control on the boats operating on the Lake of Lugano (Ceresio) and on the Lake Maggiore (Verbano), entered into force August 3, 1980, the Swiss federal Council and the Government of the Italian Republic, in application of art signed on 3 April 1980. 2, points 2 and 3, of the Convention between the Switzerland and the Italy relating to the offices juxtaposed national controls and control along the way, signed in Berne on March 11, 1961, have decided to conclude an agreement on the establishment of control over ships on the Lake of Lugano and Lake Maggiore and are to this end, agreed to the following: art. 1-1. Swiss and Italian controls entry and exit can be made during navigation on vessels intended for passenger transport and belonging to navigation a concession holding companies to run racing line on the following courses: Lake Maggiore Locarno-Ascona-Brissago-Cannobio-Luino and return, Locarno and Luino and return.
Lake of Porlezza-Lugano-Lugano and Morcote-Porto Ceresio return and return Morcote - Porto Ceresio - Ponte Tresa and return.
2. the Swiss and Italian controls on the passenger traffic, it i.e. the control of people, their luggage, their personal effects, samples of trade, small quantities of goods for private use or insignificant value, currency and securities that these people carry for their personal needs, are carried out on the boats.
Agents can extend the control personnel, provisions and transported materials, as well as the vessel itself.
3. passengers who do not in the territory of the neighbouring State are not subject to control.
However reserved remains the provision of art. 6 of the UNFCCC on 11 March 1961.
SR 0.31.252.945.460 art. 2-1. For agents of the adjacent State, the area includes vessels travelling on the course or wetting in the ports referred to in art. 1, al. 1 2. In the Italian ports of Luino, Cannobio, Porlezza and Porto Ceresio, and Swiss ports of Brissago, Locarno, Morcote and Lugano, the bordering State officers empowered to detain people who have violated standards of the adjacent State control, goods and other property seized on the boats, as well as evidence. To this end, navigation vessel owner society offers free at their disposal, on board, a suitable cabin.
3. the persons arrested, goods or other property seized as evidence can be brought in the State bordering with the first race of boats on the course indicated in art. 1, al. 1. in case of need, for the length of time, in the first race of return - which may eventually be performed also by another boat - the customs or the police station in the State of stay are available, upon request, a suitable room. These premises as well as the route between them and the boat are deemed part of the "zone".
Art. 3-1. The absence of workers of the State of output on the pier or on the boat is equivalent to a waiver of the control referred to in para. 2 of art. 7 of the convention of March 11, 1961.
2. the operations of control of passengers and their luggage are deemed completed under para. 2 of art. 7 of the convention of March 11, 1961, at the time where output state officers have carried out the control or have renounced. The controls on the boats will always run in the following order: from stem to stern and deck to the lower deck.
SR 0.31.252.945.460 art. 4 within the meaning of art. 4, al. 1, of the convention of March 11, 1961, the area on the Lake of Lugano is attached to the Italian agents respectively in the House of Commons and Porto Ceresio-Porlezza; for Swiss officials, in the municipality of Lugano. On Lake Maggiore, the box is attached for Italian agents in the town of Luino and Swiss agents, to the town of Locarno.
SR 0.31.252.945.460 art. 5-1. The Lake Lugano and Lake Maggiore navigation companies put free available to the agents of the two States, on their boats, the premises necessary for the flow of control.
2. the service agents will benefit from free transport on the routes indicated in art. 1, al. 1 art. 6-1. Regarding controls along the road on the Lake of Lugano, the Directorate of customs of the IV district in Lugano and the command of the police of the canton of Ticino in Bellinzona on the one hand, and Directions of constituencies customs of Como and Varese and the Office of the border to Come from police Zone II , resolved by mutual agreement, an agreement with the Navigation Company, retail issues, especially those related to the conduct of the traffic and use of areas.
2. with regard to the controls along the way on Lake Maggiore, are competent, by analogy to the al. 1 above: the Directorate of customs of the IV district in Lugano and the command of the police of the canton of Ticino in Bellinzona on the one hand, and the Direction of the Customs District of Luino and the Office of the Zone II of the border police in Como, on the other 3. The highest in rank, on-site service, officers are allowed to adopt, by mutual agreement, steps immediately, or for a short time, specially intended to eliminate the difficulties that might arise at the control; on the other hand, policy decisions are always taken, by mutual agreement, by Directions or attendants Services.
Art. 7-1. This agreement comes into force four months after the date of signature; It replaces the statement between the Switzerland and the Italy concerning the customs service on the Lake Maggiore and Lake Lugano, on 8 and 18 January 1901.
2. it ends six months after its denunciation by either of the two States; the short period of six months from the first day of the month following the denunciation.
Done at Lugano, April 3, 1980, in two copies in the Italian language.
[RS 12 755]
To the Swiss federal Council: for the Government of the Italian Republic: P. Affolter E. Del Gizzo RO 1980 1067 the original text is published under the same number, in the Italian edition of the compendium.
RS 0.631.252.945.460 State on November 5, 1999